Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Otaku

Default [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#45): Duplication

Previous Week: Double-Jointed, Flexibility
Next Week: Eidetic Memory, Photographic Memory

If you need help finding something we've already discussed, johndallman is maintaining an index of which traits we've discussed.

Basic

Duplication (p. B50-51) is an Exotic Advantage that can be either Mental or Physical, depending upon how it operates. The baseline cost is 35 CP/level, and Duplication entitles you to X+1 instances of your character being in play, where "X" is your levels of Duplication. You must take a Concentrate maneuver for one second to separate or merge with your "Dupes". A Dupe is a perfect physical (or if the trait is Mental, then mental) copy of your character, with all the same traits. By default, when separating they all have the same current FP and HP as you do, and when combining you average out the individual scores to find your current FP and HP.

Duplicates do not start with copies of your equipment unless you purchase the appropriate Enhancement... even mundane things like copies of your clothes! They are not in mental communication with each other unless you purchase Telesend. Mindlink may be added to the deal, and together they enable constant telepathic contact between the main "you" and your Dupes sans dice rolls. If these traits only work with your duplicates, you may take them with the Racial Limitation. Without them, you gain a Dupes memories when you recombine.

When a Dupe dies, all other Dupes and the original take 2d damage and are physically stunned if your Duplication is physical or mentally stunned if your Duplication is a mental trait. Roll against IQ-6 to recover from mental stunning or HT-6 to recover from physical stunning. Once a Dupe is dead, it is dead but you might be able to repurchase said Dupe with saved CP; if you have the Extra Life Advantage, you are allowed to spend it to revive a slain Dupe, if that would be a better deal.

Duplication features a few Modifiers either introduced with or unique to it. All of these are from p. B51: Digital (-60%), Duplicated Gear (+100%), No Sympathetic Injury (+20%), and Shared Resources (-40%). "Digital" requires you have Digital Mind (p. B48) and Possession (Digital) (p. B75) as well; your Dupes are software based copies of your mind. They can possess compatible computer systems, including those purchased as Puppets (p. B78). "Duplicated Gear" also has a prerequisite Advantage - Signature Gear - as it allows your Dupes to appear with said Signature Gear when they split off from you, assuming you were wearing or carrying it. When you merge, the Signature Gear behaves like you do; it disappears even if it was no longer on your Dupes' person, and things like ammunition, Energy, etc. are averaged out like your own FP/HP.

"No Sympathetic Injury" prevents both the damage and the stun that occur when one of your Dupes is killed. If you take the "Shared Resources" Limitation, your Dupes do not start with the same FP and HP as you have. Instead, your total FP and HP must be distributed among them, though this does not have to be divided equally between you all. Instead of averaging out your FP/HP when you merge, you simply add it together.

Other Supplements

GURPS Powers contains an expanded entry for Duplication on page 48, in addition to the usual general or advanced advice about using the trait. It includes two new Modifiers as well: the Enhancement "Construct" and the Limitation "Sequential". There is a quick mention of Duplication over in GURPS Power-Ups 3: Talents in the entry for "Job Training". The only other 4e supplement I have that mentions Duplication is GURPS Update, so on to the next section.

Past Editions

The Third Edition rules I'll be looking at for Duplication are found on Compendium I, page 53. That means it is part of the Racial and Super Advantages chapter. It costs 75 CP, quite a bit more than in Fourth Edition. Dupes still split off from you with full knowledge and powers, and by default, with your current HP (no mention is made of FP). Your HP also averages out when you merge, just like in Fourth Edition. The roll against being stunned when a Duplicate is killed is made against IQ-6 regardless of how your Duplication works (I think that is because of 3e stun rules), and you and your Duplicates still take 2d damage.

Once again, clothing, equipment, etc. do not automatically appear with your Duplicate but the 3e rules allow you to buy such things in multiples; if you spend the sufficient cash or character points for additional copies of such things, then the GM ought to allow your Dupes to appear with said copies. Instead of taking other specific traits, your Dupes may be in constant telepathic contact for a flat 25 CP per copy. Once again, when a Dupe dies, you are just out that CP, though the GM may allow you to spend that same amount of CP to re-purchase the dead Dupe.

Though they don't receive specific names, No Sympathetic Injury and Shared Resources do appear as Modifiers at the end of this entry, with the same percentage costs as in Fourth Edition. The Third Edition equivalent of No Sympathetic Injury works a bit different as well; you must evenly divide your HP (again, FP isn't mentioned) between Dupes, with the surprise benefit of fractions rounding up! When you merge, you still add the individual scores together but the rules clearly state you lose any HP gained from rounding up. All in all, a much pricier treatment of the Duplication advantage.

There is also a trait that no longer exists in Fourth Edition that seems relevant; Fugue. This is found in Compendium I on page 38, which means it is from the Chapter on Occult and Paranormal Advantages. For 50 CP, you are capable of sending yourself back in time for a few minutes to create a copy of yourself, intended for combat purposes. If you aren't in combat, this trait doesn't work. If you are, the GM rolls 1d-1 to see how many future copies of yourself are sent back to help. The GM also numbers these copies from 1 to 5 (or up to as many as actually show up); the higher the number, the further back they traveled.

To further avoid a player trying to gain future knowledge, even though these copies are under the player's control, they are ruled to create uncertainty just by returning to the time of the fight. If you get killed or knocked unconscious during the fight, all these copies vanish. If one of the copies suffers either fate, any copies sent back from a later period also disappear. Other than this and the fact they are all under your control, they are wholly independent of each other. They don't share ammo, HP, etc. Fourth Edition can replicate this trait by applying the proper Enhancements and Limitations to Duplication.

Useful Links

As always, feel free to suggest additions to this section... especially as I ran out of time and had to cut my searching short!
Discussion Starters

This is (usually) a generic list of questions for those who feel they need them. Already know what you want to say? Go ahead and skip these. ;)
  • Have you ever taken any of these traits for one of your PCs or NPCs? How did it work out?
  • Is there anything these traits do really well?
  • Is there anything you think these traits should do different, whether it means adding, subtracting, or just changing aspects of it?
  • Is there an alternate way to achieve a similar effect as what is produced by this trait?
  • Any thoughts on how the 4e version of these traits compares to them in earlier editions?
  • Feedback about BAotW threads in general, such as how I structure them?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 07-04-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#45): Duplication

For some reason every time I use duplication its with construct and linked to alternate form. Which I suppose is in some ways a poor man's unkillable 3. The concept I'm usually trying to embody is an avatar of some sort. I've also used it to reflect things like a mage being able to cast spells at more than one place.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:10 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

I've never used it - I've never been inclined towards playing gods, or classical supers.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

You could use this advantage for blob like aliens that split into multiple versions.
I would couple it with summonable allies for small drone emissions to add extra fun.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

One day I should try taking this trait for an Infomorph of some sort.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

I'm pretty sure we've talked about same form of this where the Duplicate are Illusionary
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
I'm pretty sure we've talked about same form of this where the Duplicate are Illusionary
As in like Projection, or like separate heavily limited Allies?
Old 06-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
As in like Projection, or like separate heavily limited Allies?
I posted a version of a character a while back that did all three: projected illusions, had duplicates, and had Ally versions of himself as well. He also had the ability to jump into those locations and take control, so you couldn't keep track of which ones were illusions and which were people. You should be able to find him under a post of mine with the name Chain Gang, though he was created pretty early on in 4e.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Bruno

I played a character who had an Alternate Form of a (large, inteligent, talking) raven, with five Duplicates w. Construct. Essentially, she was either human(oid), or a flock of ravens.

Unlike a Swarm entity (made with Diffuse + Swarm) she was six discrete ravens who could move around independently, take actions independently, etc. Naturally she had Telesend and Mind Link to herself - it was a hive consciousness.

I tended to stash "me" somewhere safe and send the constructs out, because egad who wouldn't?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For some reason every time I use duplication its with construct and linked to alternate form.
Duplicates which die and stay dead are extremely rare in fiction, and effect that result in permanent character point loss but not 'create a new character' tend to be problematic in games.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, duplication, fugue, week, [basic]