Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #21
jcfiala

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Congratulations Steve! I've never actually seen The Fantasy Trip - I only heard about it in relation to GURPS. But I'm sure it feels great to get back something you created.
jcfiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
GM Joe

This is wonderful news! Congratulations, Steve!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #23
schoon

Congratulations to SJG! That's quite the Christmas hat trick!

Melee, Wizard, and the MicroQuests were favorites of my formative gaming years. Advanced Melee / Wizard and ITL were creative fuel for many more years thereafter.

I loved being able to pick up the game and be playing in 5 minutes (and yet be able to compulsively map dungeons on reems of hex paper!)

Very happy that we'll see it again - I smell a Kickstarter that I'll be supporting in the future! ;)
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #24
Z09SS

I owned a copy of Melee and Wizard.

I used the counters, but never even looked at the rules because a friend introduced me to D&D nearly the same day.

I wish I'd kept them...
Old 12-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #25
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Replying to queries from here and in the mail - I'll probably turn this post into an Illuminator at some point, to illuminate the non-forumites.

• Can you give us details on the TFT release schedule or the format of the new releases? No, because I don't know myself. We’ll probably do at least one Kickstarter – for Melee – in 2018. With miniatures! Lots of miniatures!

• What changes will you make in the new TFT releases? I want a fully modern presentation, but most of the rules are pretty good as they are. I might revisit the cost of spells, and I might make some changes in the character advancement rules. But I might just leave things alone.

• How did you get these rights back? Great patience . . . 17 US Code 203 requires a long wait.

• What does this mean for GURPS? Probably nothing; I have no intention of combining the systems. TFT is a much simpler system than GURPS, optimized for single sessions and dungeon crawls. They can co-exist on the store shelves and in your own collection.

• What about the TFT releases that you didn’t write? What about other Metagaming releases? I did not get any of those rights, or any other Metagaming rights, and I can’t tell you anything about their status.

• I detect a trend, with Ogre, Car Wars, Triplanetary, and now TFT. Do you have any other classic titles waiting for a modern reissue? It does seem that we’re going full retro here, doesn’t it? The answer to your question is “Maybe!”
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #26
ColBosch

I only just saw the news, and I am just absolutely floored. This is fantastic news and I am very happy that your work is now back in your hands!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #27
Agemegos

Wow! After five major culls of my collection of books and games I still have two copies each of Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, and In The Labyrinth that I bought in 1982. TFT was the game I switched to when I abandoned AD&D in my first year at university.

The first gaming article I wrote was about the Gate spell, Gate networks, the economics, strategy, and geographical topology of worlds with Gate networks, abusing Gates as detectors of fact, and the use of Gate keys and Gate locks. I submitted it to Fantasy Gamer, and it was rejected as being too involved for the readers.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #28
venusboys3

AMAZING!
The first wargames I ever owned, along with Ogre. Played them frequently but never lost interest... and still have them around.
I look forward to whatever comes of this!

Congratulations SJG!
venusboys3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #29
ColinK

This is fun news.

Melee and Wizard were favorites of my brothers and gaming friends in the 1980s. I still have the original booklet games and the advanced game books where I can actually find them, also all sorts of fun notes on "home brewed" rules to share when the time is ripe for that.

Sure hope we can look forward to a new generation of players to experience the many opportunities for enjoying all the great modern day accessories like computer mapping tools, campaign manager tools, flat printable NPCs and 3D printable everything.

The Fantasy Trip was a really open game that invited all sorts of player generated objects and imaginative interpretations or combinations of spells, items, skills, etc. I look forward with glee to blasting holes between labyrinth caves again.

Evil cackles galore!

Last edited by ColinK; 12-26-2017 at 01:35 PM.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:33 PM   #30
dar

Fantastic news! Even better if left nice and simpler the way it was! Thanks!
dar is offline   Reply With Quote