Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #31
PK

Default Re: Pyramid #3/36: Dungeon Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
I am torn, I really like the additional information, but the time spent doing it takes away from Kromm writing new stuff.
Actually, since I'm on Pyramid Duty every month, we're trying a combo where Kromm summarizes the issue (as he usually does) but I summarize the articles, adding that bullet-level detail. (And obviously Kromm takes point if he wrote or was involved with one of the articles.) So it's really taking away my time more than his -- and even then, we're only talking about 15-20 minutes of work per month here. Still, if the overall impression is that folks are fine with a by-issue summary instead of a by-article detailed one, we want to know -- no point in either of us doing extra work for no reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
To sum up: "The Musketeer" was spectacularly unmemorable.
I think b-dog was just upset that it wasn't a bundled racial/character template like Kromm's. You went unmentioned out of protest. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
Hey, don't feel too bad, Powering-Up: Imbuements didn't get mentioned in the introduction text of the actual PDF (at least in the preview anyway) - it's in the Contents on the left side of p2, but I can't see it in the In This Issue text on the right side!
Er, I don't know what you're talking about! Surely it's there. But it's . . . uh, printed in lemon juice. You have to heat up your screen before you can see it. Yeah. That's right.

(Alex, if you're reading this, sorry about that embarrassing oversight . . .)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #32
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Steven didn't even mention your article to me – and I gather you were in the same boat vis-à-vis my piece.
Yep. He mentioned something about our articles being complementary a week or two ago, long after both articles had been written and (no doubt) edited, but that was the first I'd heard of it. He's sneaky, that Smarsh. Best keep an eye on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I think b-dog was just upset that it wasn't a bundled racial/character template like Kromm's. You went unmentioned out of protest. :)
It wasn't clear that it was a racial template for the French? I was watching the Richard Lester Three Musketeers and Four Musketeers the other week, and, like, all those dudes were using muskets and swords. And surely Dick Lester wouldn't produce anything other than a scrupulously accurate historical and anthropological study, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Er, I don't know what you're talking about! Surely it's there. But it's . . . uh, printed in lemon juice. You have to heat up your screen before you can see it. Yeah. That's right.
You're right! It works! I just hold a lighter up to it for a

Hang on...hey, what
happened to the right
side of my screen?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #33
PseudoFenton

Quote:
I think its less that its unmemorable, and more than its later in the article and not quite as inkeeping with the fairly classic "medieval" setting that tends to be most peoples go-to when dealing with this genre.

I personally haven't had a chance to read through it all myself, but its on the bottom of my list of things to read just because I know I'm going to have to work it a little to fit in into my already established setting. (It'll probably be something to do with gnomes after they've seen what those dirty dwarves have been up to).

That said it's also up against another very similar template, that is written by the author of the rest of DF, and that generally blows things up for a living. That is some pretty tough competition right there! Also we've only heard peoples initial reactions, we look at the pretty before we pay attention to the functionality - which leads me neatly onto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, I like it better than the demolisher, that I found way too niche, with unimpressive damage (2d isn't much when each use is that expensive)
Well, yes, for bang to the buck I'm also a little concerned. I'm also a little dubious over the fact that without your shattersand (which you can only buy in town, from specific vendors, that might not be there) you're not really all that impressive at all and basically can't do any of your classes special stuff.

Of cause nothing stops me strapping the triple barrels of a Boomstick around a reinforced Burner, and separating each barrel with hammer heads. Creating effectively a really heavy mace that both spews fire and shoots chunks of hot metal at foes and could explode at anytime! Which is enough reason to play a suicidal dwarf in itself!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #34
Refplace

Quote:
I certainly saw the demolisher as a technician rather than a fighter: blowing up doors, setting traps, collapsing tunnels, and throwing the occasional bomb. Interesting how we independently started with the same premise (BANG!!!) and ended up with completely different roles.
That I did like.
Sorry for not mentioning it the article was good but yeah becasue I was reading this for DF or fantasy it kind of slipped through my brain there. I was reading things with an eye on where or if I could use them.
Also had I not bought GURPS Swashbucklers once upon a time it would have been a higher profile article. Wish I had that book still so I could compare them.

And long as I am here again I want to say David Pulver should try his hand at writing fiction.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #35
Tyneras

Quote:
No. No no no no no. I expect my players to be tormented by Elven Imperial Musketeers when next we meet. The combination of elite soldier and urban flavor is a prefect fit for them, I'm just still gathering my thoughts on the rest of the issue, Thursdays have become surprisingly busy for me these last few weeks.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #36
PseudoFenton

It just struck me whilst going through the Demolisher article, that it suggests Jeweler as a skill... but DF2 doesn't state it as a skill with use, instead suggesting that Merchant should be used for IDing gems as all delvers know about them.

Is this just an oversight, or does Jeweler give additional benefits?
Old 10-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:

(To be fair, the rest of the issue is really, really good.)
I liked both due to the presence of explosives, but I liked the Demolisher better for a good reason and a dumb reason. The dumb reason is that I really like dwarves. The good reason is that I feel like the Demolisher has a higher rate of damage, especially if he takes advantage of gizmos like I know I would.

Musketeers appeal to me but not as much as tattooed dwarf tossing bombs and cackling madly. And I feel like the only Musketeer archetype that works in DF is the "brace of pistols" guy. The rate of fire, accuracy, and damage of the weapons is just too low for a sniper when he has to deal with a world of fantastic creatures and such. I mean, 20 seconds is an eternity.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #38
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoFenton View Post

It just struck me whilst going through the Demolisher article, that it suggests Jeweler as a skill... but DF2 doesn't state it as a skill with use, instead suggesting that Merchant should be used for IDing gems as all delvers know about them.

Is this just an oversight, or does Jeweler give additional benefits?
It's a suggested skill in DF 1 and a template skill for artificers in DF 4. It has no explicit use in DF 2, but it's the right skill to roll against when you want to pry gems out of idols and altars without damaging them (for instance), and could certainly be a complementary skill on any roll to evaluate or sell bejeweled items. More important, it's the sort of skill dwarves ought to have.

More generally, DF 2 focused on offering uses for skills found on the DF 1 templates. Those found only on the list of suitable skills in DF 1, or on the templates in DF 3 through 14, require some GM ingenuity.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
zoncxs

Imbuements! the special enhancements and limitations makes me happier. I was always wondering how much of a limitation "unarmed only" or the likes would be, I am glad I was close. though I would think annihilating weapon would be useful to a martial artist no? and the musketeer, well now I know what my next character will be ^,^
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #40
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
Kuroshima has been hinting about "DF4DF" with me over Yahoo for months now. I'm glad I finally see what exactly it is.
Can I be a cleric of Armok, God of Blood? DF4DF4DF?

Tags
divine favor, dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/36, pyramid issues