Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Luke Bunyip

Default Re: Steampunk Elves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
How about:

Dwarves are the filthy proletariat, or at least part of it along with the humans, laboring in dark, Satanic mills and producing various technological wonders (elevators, horseless carriages, zeppelins, etc.). The elves are the aristocracy, living on their country estates and nicely-appointed town houses and telling everyone else what to do. They may not care much for technology, but it's mostly an "out of sight, out of mind" thing, much as corporate executives of the recent-but-not-too-recent past might benefit from the existence of computers but never touch one themselves; that's for secretaries, technicians, and other workers. The brass and steam gadgets are concealed behind facades of lacquer, oak panels, hammered metalwork, and velvet brocade.
...and that is why there is a dwarven edition of Das Kapital.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
Cernig

Sounds a bit like the Fuzion setting, Victoriana.

And forum regular Tectuctitlay already has an excellent GURPS conversion in PDF :-)
Cernig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
quarkstomper

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

The first few sessions of this campaign have been a little rudderless as I've been trying to feel my way around and establish background, but I think I've finally got some traction.

As I said, my wife's character, Stella, is young woman studying engineering at a university. She originally came from a mining community in the province of Franklin, and so she's using her interest in clockwork automata to try to invent a mechanical beetle that can test air quality in mines. I've been letting her put together the prototype bit by bit.

A handsome young man named Tad, who is the captain of the school's rowing team, has been courting her. He delighted Stella, (and scandalized Stella's landlady) by picking her up for a dance in a steam automobile.

On their latest date, he took her to an automobile race he had entered. Shortly before the race started, however, a group of toughs waylaid Tad and beat him up, breaking his arm and rendering him unable to drive; forcing Stella to take his place. It was a fun, exciting race and my wife enjoyed my descriptions of the other cars.

After the race, Stella meets Tad's father, an influential senator, and some of his father's friends, including a mysterious elvish count from Bohemia. These men are part of a cabal, which will become important later.

The Count takes an interest in Stella and persuades her to accept first a ride back to town, then dinner at a restaurant, and then...

Well, this is a family board so we'll just leave it to say that Tad is going to be really annoyed.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
Landwalker

Man, I wish I had half as much creativity as you do. That sounds like great stuff.

Cheers.
Landwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
vitruvian

For some reason, I'm seeing the dwarves (in the UK, at least) as having Scottish accents, rather than Welsh. Maybe it's the engineering stereotype. Knockers are Cornish, I'm not sure what the actual Scottish equivalent would have been.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
For some reason, I'm seeing the dwarves (in the UK, at least) as having Scottish accents, rather than Welsh. Maybe it's the engineering stereotype. Knockers are Cornish, I'm not sure what the actual Scottish equivalent would have been.
Bah. The more civilized Dwarves should clearly speak with upper-crust Oxford accents, while the wild Elves should have Irish accents. Give the Gnomes and Hobbits... sorry, Halflings Cornish accents, and make Goblins use ridiculous French accents ("Fetchez la vouche!") for the sheer Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments. Humans? They're Norse.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Bah. The more civilized Dwarves should clearly speak with upper-crust Oxford accents, while the wild Elves should have Irish accents. Give the Gnomes and Hobbits... sorry, Halflings Cornish accents, and make Goblins use ridiculous French accents ("Fetchez la vouche!") for the sheer Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments. Humans? They're Norse.
I was going off the original poster's setup, though, where the Elves are more aristocracy than wild, given that Victoria is an elf queen.

Of course, given that the House of Windsor is of German extraction, maybe that's a pointer to the proper accent for Elves.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate timelines, dwarves, elves, steampunk, techno-fantasy