Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Alonsua
Banned

Default Help me statting some characters

Hi there, I wonder if you can help me stat the following characters (feel free to post links or whole character sheets if you like):

Real world™ people:
Angelina Jolie
Avril Lavigne
Celine Dion
Donald Trump
Edward Snowden
Elon Musk
Emilia Clarke
Emma Watson
Lady Gaga
Mark Zuckerberg
Mike Tyson
Miley Cyrus
Steve Jobs
Steven Spielberg
Taylor Swift

Fictional characters
Hitman: Agent 47
Ip Man
Jurassic Park: Henry Wu
Jurassic Park: John Hammond
Gamer: Kable
Gamer: Ken Castle
Gregory House
Saw: Jigsaw/John Kramer
Ex Machina: Nathan Bateman
Prometheus: Peter Weyland (at the age of the viral video)
Ready Player One: James Halliday
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: Will Rodman
Sherlock Holmes
The Transporter: Frank Martin

The following paragraphs state the setting axioms (no need to read them, if you got an idea let me know):

Maximum human value for Strength, Dexterity, IQ and Health is 15, though this is reserved for really exceptional cases, making 14 the top realistic human value.

Talents are specialized forms of Strength, Dexterity, IQ and Health, and donīt stack with those or with each other. However, you can buy the talents special abilities at 1 CP cost per level if the governing attribute is higher than its current value -1.

Talents are mostly inborn, though you can train them to the first level or one level higher than the inborn one.

Skills 12 are enough to earn employment.
Skills 13-15 are highly capable, enough to earn a good living and being respected by other professionals.
Skills 16-18 are extremely respectable experts, the elite of their fields.
Skills 19-20 are the greatest of their era in a field, guaranteed to be known and mentioned in textbooks and media.
Skills 21-24 are the greatest in history, with 24 as an upper limit for the truly astounding.

Top Skill Levels Examples:
Roosevelt
Politics 17
Stalin
Politics 19; Administration 17
Churchill
Writing 18; Politics 15; Strategy 15
Napoleon
Leadership 19; Strategy 19; Tactics 15
Pythagoras
Mathematics 18
Paracelsus
Chemistry 18; Diagnosis 18; Physician 18; Surgery 16
Houdini
Holdout 23; Escape 21; Lockpicking 21; Magician 18
Lovecraft
Occultism 18; Writing 18
Hemingway
Writing 19; Journalism 16
Goethe
Writing 20
Hernan Cortes
Leadership 20
Julius Caesar
Politics 20
Hannibal
Tactics 20; Leadership 19; Strategy 18
Nikola Tesla
Engineer Electrical 21
Darwin
Naturalist 21; Paleontology 19; Zoology 18; Botany 17
Aristotle
Philosophy 21; Naturalist 19; Physics 17; Teaching 17; Mathematics 15
Leonardo Da Vinci
Artist 21
Archimedes
Mathematics 22; Engineer 20; Cyphering 20; Physics 18
Newton
Physics 23; Mathematics 21; Chemistry 18; Engineering 17
Einstein
Physics 22; Mathematics 18
Benjamin Franklin
Diplomacy 21; Politics 17
Alexander The Great
Strategy 22; Leadership 18; Tactics 16
St. Augustine of Hippo
Theology 23; Writing 19; Teaching 18; Religious Rituals 17
Shakespeare
Poetry 24; Writing 21
Mozart
Musical Composition 24; Fortepiano 21; Harpsichord 21; Conducting 18; Viola 17; Violin 17
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Help me statting some characters

Why?

Ok, sorry, that sounded really aggressive. But, is it for a game, for fun, for comparison?

With both real world people and famous fictional characters you will quickly run into people arguing about details for a long time. Knowing exactly the purpose of the exercise can help keep focus, and keep people on the same page.

Last edited by Maz; 05-27-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Why?

Ok, sorry, that sounded really aggressive. But, is it for a game, for fun, for comparison?

With both real world people and famous fictional characters you will quickly run into people arguing about details for a long time. Knowing exactly the purpose of the exercise can help keep focus, and keep people on the same page.
Itīs fine. I will actually take them for a game setting and may use them for comparison too, since I would like to set up some interesting characters and thus I would really appreciate the ideas and thoughts of others about these real world and fictional characters, so I can figure out how other players perceive both real and fictional people and improve my own knowledge and skills :)
Old 05-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
mr beer

Sherlock Holmes has probably been done a few times, example link: http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes

The real world people, the starting point is what level of Wealth is appropriate, all of those women have some positive level of Appearance and Reputations are required I think since they're all famous. Stand out things on top of that:

Angelina Jolie: Performance
Avril Lavigne: Singing
Celine Dion: Singing
Donald Trump: Someone needs to stat out the Disadvantage: Narcissist
Edward Snowden: has a problematic Enemy Disadvantage
Elon Musk: Engineer and sales skills
Emilia Clarke: Performance
Emma Watson: Performance
Lady Gaga: Singing
Mark Zuckerberg: computing skills
Mike Tyson: Sport Boxing, ST, DX, HT
Miley Cyrus: Performance
Steve Jobs: had a bunch of quirks (quack medicine etc.) and Callous or something like it
Steven Spielberg: Someone needs to stat out Aspergers
Taylor Swift: Singing and some kind of business Talent

Last edited by mr beer; 05-27-2018 at 05:16 PM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Phantasm

Several of the later generation of pop singers you gave Performance to I'd also add points in Dancing and (arguably) Singing, though some of them were chosen as singers for their ability to dance.... o/`

Spielberg in the director's chair I'd give Group Performance at 12 or even 14. Several of the actors I'd also give Stage Combat.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
edk926

Some of them would have the choreography skill as well.
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Sherlock Holmes has probably been done a few times, example link: http://gurps.wikia.com/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes

The real world people, the starting point is what level of Wealth is appropriate, all of those women have some positive level of Appearance and Reputations are required I think since they're all famous. Stand out things on top of that:

Angelina Jolie: Performance
Avril Lavigne: Singing
Celine Dion: Singing
Donald Trump: Someone needs to stat out the Disadvantage: Narcissist
Edward Snowden: has a problematic Enemy Disadvantage
Elon Musk: Engineer and sales skills
Emilia Clarke: Performance
Emma Watson: Performance
Lady Gaga: Singing
Mark Zuckerberg: computing skills
Mike Tyson: Sport Boxing, ST, DX, HT
Miley Cyrus: Performance
Steve Jobs: had a bunch of quirks (quack medicine etc.) and Callous or something like it
Steven Spielberg: Someone needs to stat out Aspergers
Taylor Swift: Singing and some kind of business Talent
Thank you, I saved the Sherlock Holmes sheet. Would you like to elaborate in any of those characters? I already know some of their primary skills, but I am unable to decide upon their value and more or less the same is happening with secondary and background skills, and with advantages/disadvantages. I appreciate your colaboration.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:01 AM   #8
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Thank you, I saved the Sherlock Holmes sheet. Would you like to elaborate in any of those characters? I already know some of their primary skills, but I am unable to decide upon their value and more or less the same is happening with secondary and background skills, and with advantages/disadvantages. I appreciate your colaboration.
I have a very superficial knowledge of all these people. If I was going to stat them out, I'd read the Wikipedia entries on them and take it from there. It's difficult to develop a fully fledged character sheet without at least reading some kind of in-depth biography which I wouldn't be doing for this kind of exercise. So probably just stick to two or three main skills and any unusual stats.

As far as skill levels go, well Mike Tyson was a dominant world champion but isn't generally considered one of the greatest of all time so you can give him skill-19 or 20 at Sport Boxing on your scale when he was in his prime. This is quite easy because there's a reasonable objective standard there.

Emma Watson, what's her Performance level? At least 12 I guess but I have no opinion on whether she's OK or good or great. It's subjective. Same as her Appearance, I think most people would agree she's at least Attractive, but is she Beautiful or Very Beautiful? Again, subjective.

So a lot of this stuff you really have to make your own calls.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I don't believe you can stat Trump without turning this thread into an irrelevant flame fest. There is too much controversy about his character. This is also true, although less heated, for the other characters,

What you can do is specify some of the traits you think these people have and where you have trouble translating their behaviour into GURPS terms.

Eg, if you assume Trump tells a lot of lies, is this compulsive lying in GURPS or something else? After making this assumption, we avoid the discussion on whether this is a true trait or not. We talk about Trump's traits as depicted by his opponents.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:38 AM   #10
AlexanderHowl

When it comes to actors, there are so many aspiring actors the actors that we see in mainstream movies probably start at 14 and keep going up. In an environment with such fierce competition, high levels of Appearance, high levels of Talent, and the Voice advantage are almost mandatory, meaning that effective skill levels of 20 would not be unknown. I would suggest that the global world, with its fiercer competition and larger population, actually has people who exceed skill 24.

A world should probably have a cap on effective skill equal to 12 + log10 (Population) + TL, rounded up (repressing communication, competition, opportunity, etc). A TL0 world with a population of 50 million people will likely never have anyone above skill 20. A TL4 world with a population of 300 million would likely never have anyone above skill 25. A TL8 world with a population of 8 billion will likely never have anyone above skill 30. A TL12 interstellar civilization with a population of 2 trillion would likely never have anyone above skill 37.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote