Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #21
Danukian

Default Re: Japanese Tea Ceremonies (and other artistic peculiarities)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
I could see it being Carousing and the Perk: Carousing based on IQ for gossips.

Of course, I have noticed that there really isn't a "just get a long" skill. Sort of a diplomacy lite. I'd say maybe an easy skill, defaults to IQ, gives a good reaction and never worse than a neutral reaction on General reactions, requests for information. Roll at -3 for requests for aid? I'm just spitballing here. Or maybe it can be used if a reaction roll goes poorly to make it neutral with no penalty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
you're describing Diplomacy, the skill is not just for the pros
Quote:
But it's a hard skill. To be a professional at it you need to invest a boatload of time. That seems silly to me. But it is what it is.
The cheap and easy way to represent someone that is good at getting along with people without a boatload of time invested into a hard skill is Charisma added to a standard reaction roll, plus some possibly favorable condition modifiers (like reputation, status, appearance, talents-in-common, etc.)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
But it's a hard skill. To be a professional at it you need to invest a boatload of time. That seems silly to me. But it is what it is.
a boat load of time... you know like sense you were a little child.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukian View Post
The cheap and easy way to represent someone that is good at getting along with people without a boatload of time invested into a hard skill is Charisma added to a standard reaction roll, plus some possibly favorable condition modifiers (like reputation, status, appearance, talents-in-common, etc.)
If we're discussing Influence skills, Savoir-Faire would probably be your cheap and easy "just get along" skill. It's about not offending people, knowing what to say when, and so on.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
If we're discussing Influence skills, Savoir-Faire would probably be your cheap and easy "just get along" skill. It's about not offending people, knowing what to say when, and so on.
Isn't "just getting along" best done as simple reaction rolls?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #25
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm not sure GURPS splits Savoir-Faire specializations by nation anymore. I mean, you can't learn Savoir-Faire (USA), you have to learn (High-Society), (Military), (Mafia) and (Servant) separately.
That's what Cultural Familiarity is for. It does offer penalties to a wide variety of skills.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #26
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Isn't "just getting along" best done as simple reaction rolls?
Reaction rolls are first impressions. Being beautiful and having a great voice is not how one becomes better at "getting along," but at dazzling someone who just met you.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Reaction rolls are first impressions. Being beautiful and having a great voice is not how one becomes better at "getting along," but at dazzling someone who just met you.
Most people don't study how to manipulate others, and seldom make deliberate effort at it. Most reaction rolls will be merely Neutral, which is "just getting along".
Old 03-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #28
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Most people don't study how to manipulate others, and seldom make deliberate effort at it. Most reaction rolls will be merely Neutral, which is "just getting along".
I don't think the core premise of Savoir-Faire is to manipulate others. It is, in fact, to "get along." Influence rolls aren't always about getting what you want. They're often about getting a second chance to make a good first impression ie smoothing over wrinkles and returning things to a Good reaction.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
David Johnston2

Quote:
People who never put a foot wrong in social interaction are NOT common.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I don't think the core premise of Savoir-Faire is to manipulate others. It is, in fact, to "get along." Influence rolls aren't always about getting what you want.
Except for General Reactions (arguably) every other kind of Reaction Roll is precisely about getting what you want.
Quote:
They're often about getting a second chance to make a good first impression ie smoothing over wrinkles and returning things to a Good reaction.
You are allowed to substitute an Influence skill for a reaction roll, I don't see anywhere by RAW that you can use them as a reroll.

EDIT: I'm trying to say, that being passive about interacting with others; in other words "just getting along" is best simulated by regular reaction rolls. Actively trying to influence others is influence skills. I imagine Social Engineering will have clarifications about this.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Tags
art, gurps 4e, japanese, meditation, skills