Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #1
JazzJedi

Default Kaiju attacks and Negative Altered Time Rate

I'm wondering what would be a practical turn length for a SM+10 Kaiju (humanoid-ish build)? I've given it a Move of 6/48 and a Basic Speed of 6. Let's also assume that nerve conductivity speeds are not supernatural, but biologically realistic (even though the size of the creature is unrealistic). Given this, how long would it take to swing its arms around and make a punching style attack? SM+10 is a reach of C-30, so it's arms have to move 30 yards to make the attack at full extension. Would 1 attack every 4 seconds per too quick? Would this qualify as two negative levels of Altered Time Rate?
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:25 AM   #2
starslayer

Default Re: Kaiju attacks and Negative Altered Time Rate

Nerve impulses travel at ~115 m/s.
Sensory response is ~70 m/s
Pain response .6 m/s [1]

Given those numbers unless your Kaiju is absolutely massive (bigger than SM+10) it should have no issues with instant response to reach 30, but damage to the furthest extent of reach 30 will take almost a full minute to reach its brain (conditional HPT/Does not feel pain with a one minute duration?)

Physical limits from moving a limb that massive will be far worse than any nervous response issues, but being that you are handwaving the 'how can it be that big' issue, you should probably waive the 'how can it move without destroying itself' issue.

1 attack per four rounds may actually be too slow!

[1] https://hypertextbook.com/facts/2002/DavidParizh.shtml
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Nerve impulses travel at ~115 m/s.
Sensory response is ~70 m/s
Pain response .6 m/s [1]
I don't think neural impulse speed is an absolute; I think it depends on the size of the neuron. I remember in neurology class hearing about experimental work on the neurons in squid tentacles, which were really high in diameter; I believe this was to enable impulse conduction at much higher speeds so that the tentacles could be useful. I'd think a kaiju could have really thick neurons all over the place; it isn't as if it didn't have room for them. So the slowdown may be less severe, if I've got the physiology right.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't think neural impulse speed is an absolute; I think it depends on the size of the neuron. I remember in neurology class hearing about experimental work on the neurons in squid tentacles, which were really high in diameter; I believe this was to enable impulse conduction at much higher speeds so that the tentacles could be useful. I'd think a kaiju could have really thick neurons all over the place; it isn't as if it didn't have room for them. So the slowdown may be less severe, if I've got the physiology right.
That's some really good insight; but even with the 'traditional humans scale' nerve impulse speeds ~100 m/s is more than fast enough for 1 action/second on an SM+10 creature with reach 30 limbs.

Larger neurons may be useful for a faster pain response, but that may actually be a detriment (responding to pain is good, responding unreasonably fast to pain may be bad when you are so large that you may be forced to hurt yourself on occasion in order to eat effectively)
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote