Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2015, 02:19 AM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: The Last Gasp and Hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A lot of that depends on what you think is a 'GURPS level character'. Someone not currently accustomed to hiking can go a full day, but they're going to feel pretty terrible the next day, and things like blisters are pretty likely.
It would be dangerous for ANYONE I know to gurps hike all day. I think my mom may be able to though.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:09 AM   #12
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
A lot of that depends on what you think is a 'GURPS level character'. Someone not currently accustomed to hiking can go a full day, but they're going to feel pretty terrible the next day, and things like blisters are pretty likely.
Blisters are really best assessed as being caused by failed hiking skill rolls.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:13 AM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
They can't as blisters wouldn't require slowing down which a failed Hiking roll means in R.A.W.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:16 AM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Probably critfailed or high-MoF failed, as someone with skill 12 shouldn't have that much of a problem.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:23 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Blisters form from friction, not failure of skill or health.
Either way in gurps normal blisters don't rise to the level of even a single HP of damage. So it becomes flavor text anyway.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Blisters form from friction, not failure of skill or health.
Either way in gurps normal blisters don't rise to the level of even a single HP of damage. So it becomes flavor text anyway.
Excessive friction seems to indicate you majorly screwed up your choice of shoes, gait and other such things.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #17
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Sleep may feel restful, but it isn't really Rest as Gurps defines ,it in my opinion. When super fatigued, 8 hours, or however many you normally need, won't cut it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by from the Last Gasp
You must rest in order to recover FP. While sitting around
and drinking tea certainly qualifies, absolute stillness isn’t a
requirement. You can move around at a speed of up to 20% of
your encumbered Move and still recover fatigue.
Both examples given are far more active than just sleep. Id definitely count that time toward FP recovery.

As for professional marathoner sprinting the entire 26 miles, they aren't sprinting. They just have a very fast paced run. When they pass a competitor, THAT is sprinting. Theres a real difference that you feel in the moment, in terms of form and exertion.

I agree that a continuous smooth progression from hiking up through sprinting would be nice. Since Last Gasp attacks reworking FP use writ large, might as well tackle this too. It is worth noting that people have different forms when walking, running, and sprinting though. That may cause breakpoints and weirdness in rules.

Your numbers for speeds are a tad off. At Move 5, you run a 12 min mile. Sounds right for an average, doesnt-ever-exercise kind of person, but I ran 5 minute miles in high school, which means I had Move 12, and I was considered slow, since I couldn't touch the 4:30 milers! In college, I met one of the school's milers who regularly broke 4 minutes, and he only had one foot (pretty discouraging when you are contemplating trying to walk on...collegiate level is nuts). World records are in the 3:30 range.

Maybe we should look at having Running skill influence how fast you can run/sprint? I also notice that the faster you run, the less time you do it, so by RAW, the less FP you lose as long as you dont sprint. Perhaps distance should factor into FP loss? Frex, you can lose 1 FP per 1/10 x HT miles run. How fast doesn't matter. Slower and longer is still the same energy output as short and fast. Let Running and Move influence how fast you run them. Let Extra Effort give the option to run them even faster at the cost of more FP (probably boosting the entire run or on a mile by mile basis).

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 07-25-2015 at 08:48 AM.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #18
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Excessive friction seems to indicate you majorly screwed up your choice of shoes, gait and other such things.
New shoes are sometimes enough.
Or bad socks, with non-flat stitching.
Or a small item (small pebble, small stick, ...) inside the shoes.
But the usual culprit is simply walking too long on a wet sock, or switching to trekking shoes after a few days in sandals.

An skilled hiker will generally avoid them, but it can happen, often when you are pushing yourself under the rain to reach a shelter, and are too tired to listen to your feet warning you.
With modern hydrocolloidal dressings , a blister is below Gurps notice (unless it get infected).

Celjabba
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Your numbers for speeds are a tad off. At Move 5, you run a 12 min mile. Sounds right for an average, doesnt-ever-exercise kind of person, but I ran 5 minute miles in high school, which means I had Move 12, and I was considered slow, since I couldn't touch the 4:30 milers!
You might want to break out your work here, because at first blush, Move 5 is 5 yards per second, which is 352s per mile, or about six minutes. Paced running is half sprinting speed, so indeed 3 yards per second or 586s per mile, about 9' 45s.

I like the concept of Running skill pushing the paced running ability.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:25 AM   #20
Kalzazz

Couldn't you just say that if the party had been being busy before the rumble started they started the rumble minus 1d*10% AP or such?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiking, last gasp