Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Humabout

Default [Last Gasp] AP Regneration & Limited, Move Only

I am trying to sort out a price for Limited, Movement Costs Only as a limitation for AP Regeneration. The idea is to give the character a minimum amount of movement available every turn for the sake of more chambara-like fights. It's not a campaign feature, so I figure I do have to price this one out. My initial feeling was -20%, but I'm not sure if this is too steep. Anyone try this before or have any suggestions or insight?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Last Gasp] AP Regneration & Limited, Move Only

I will take on some alternate movement AP cost concept on my blog either this week or next.

My suggestion is to go simpler. Change the costs for movement to just be lower. Say, 1 AP to move up to half move, 2 AP for up to full move.

I will pose some variants, but for what you're looking for, lowering or eliminating cost for move will be a lot easier and can be dropped into an existing game.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Mailanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I will take on some alternate movement AP cost concept on my blog either this week or next.

My suggestion is to go simpler. Change the costs for movement to just be lower. Say, 1 AP to move up to half move, 2 AP for up to full move.

I will pose some variants, but for what you're looking for, lowering or eliminating cost for move will be a lot easier and can be dropped into an existing game.
I look forward to it.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

Probably true. My concern with doing that is that only this character will have access to the cheaper/increased move rate right now. Others may not even choose to go down that path (although, I suspect they will). That's why I'm bothering with a point cost, otherwise tweaking the fundamentals is certainly the way to go.

I'll eagerly await your blog entry on the subject!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Old 08-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Probably true. My concern with doing that is that only this character will have access to the cheaper/increased move rate right now. Others may not even choose to go down that path (although, I suspect they will). That's why I'm bothering with a point cost, otherwise tweaking the fundamentals is certainly the way to go.

I'll eagerly await your blog entry on the subject!
Tomorrow 8am.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
DouglasCole

In Pyramid #3/44, the article The Last Gasp introduced the concept of Action Points for GURPS, which had the effect of having lulls and flurries in combat as emergent behavior. It also introduced punishing Action Point costs for movement - perhaps too punishing.

Here's an alternate treatment of the same topic to increase the mobility of fighters on the battlefield. Plus, a new Advantage: Ferret on Crack!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Humabout

Sweet! Thank you. I'm thinking of using Ferret on Crack to represent the rules you posted to and having most people still use the 1 AP / 20% Move rule from Last Gasp.

As an exercise, I thought I'd try to squeeze a modifier out of your blog post anyway: An average person with Move 5 would normally spend 8 AP to move his entire move and come to a complete stop at the end of his turn (5 to accelerate and 3 to decelerate). With your new rules, this would cost 3 AP (2 for full move and 1 to stop) for a per-turn savings of 5 AP. This is equivalent to Regeneration (HT/2 AP per second; Limited, Points Spent on Move Only, -x%). Since Ferret on Crack costs 30 points and unmodified Regeneration (HT/2 AP per Second) costs 75, it would seem that Limited, Move Expenditures Only would be a -60% limitation.

And I was just noticed that you addressed this in The Last Gasp under Cosmic, actually:
Quote:
Free movement up to (HT) Action Points per round would cost 100 points for regeneration, but possibly with a Limitation (Move only), -50%.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

Tags
last gasp