Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
tbeard1999

Default Fantasy Trip Modern and Superheroes

I was going through my old site and came across this article Ron Pehr wrote for the Space Gamer:

http://web.archive.org/web/200707241...t/superher.htm

I'm not into superheroes, but this article also has a considerable amount of basic information for a possible TFT modern supplement.

A different take on TFT modern can be extracted from my own TFT Traveller conversion http://web.archive.org/web/200707241...t/travellr.htm

And the High Tech TFT combat system expansion: http://web.archive.org/web/200707241.../tft/HiTek.htm

I suppose I should also mention Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes. It has a skill system that could be very easily adapted for TFT; they're already organized by IQ and by IQ point cost. http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/mercen.htm

Last edited by tbeard1999; 01-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: Fantasy Trip Modern and Superheroes

IMHO, if you are already playing GURPS you want GURPS Supers, and if you are not already playing GURPS, but want a superhero campaign, you want Champions.

Super-attributes will just stretch TFT all out of shape.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #3
Cat

With sufficient archaeological skills applied to my basement, I may be able to find the rules from the Fantasy Trip Supers game we played quite a bit in college. The Champions system worked much better for us melted down into TFT style! =^,^=
Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Oneiros

Sophmore year in college, I switched my 1E AD&D game over to TFT for about a semester as an experiment, letting players convert characters as best they could.

I remember using the Superheroes article from Space Gamer as an option for letting characters get "innate magical abilities". It was a lot of fun, but alas, the derth of ongoing support for TFT led us to eventually go back to D&D.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
IMHO, if you are already playing GURPS you want GURPS Supers, and if you are not already playing GURPS, but want a superhero campaign, you want Champions.
I would recommend M&M or Fate before Champions nowadays. Champions seems to be the game of being good at making Champions characters, rather than especially anything in comics.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Chris Goodwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I would recommend M&M or Fate before Champions nowadays. Champions seems to be the game of being good at making Champions characters, rather than especially anything in comics.
I've had many great, fun games of Champions that were very comics-like. Also a lot of games of Fantasy Hero that were very fantasy novel-like, and so on...

But! If I've got a bunch of friends who play TFT, but not GURPS, M&M, Fate, Champions, etc., and we all want to play superheroes, why not use a ruleset we know? (I'm pretty sure I've said the same thing for Car Wars and Autoduel Champions over on the Car Wars forum.)

Also, I'm not going to pretend Champions is a light, easy game; it works best with people who've been playing it for a while, or who've had the time and energy to figure it out on their own. GURPS is on par with Champions; M&M and Fate are a bit more lightweight but have their own quirks. With TFT, even with superheroes, you can have characters made and be fighting in ten minutes.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 AM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:

The TFT supers article was quite playable... (TSG 65)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I second Mutants and Masterminds. It is an extremely well written and designed game, that emulates comic book action perfectly.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #9
JLV

Quote:

I agree with this completely -- Champions was our go-to Superhero system back in the day, not some conversion attempt (I haven't played or run a Superhero game in a quarter of a century, though).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
BobP

Quote:

Hmm. Far be it for me to dispute the Author, but we didn't find that in our play. Some different extrapolations needed for High ST, yes. Finding the playable level for maximum DX or IQ, yup. But we played happily for years from that base, plus assorted handwaves and repurposings. (Spidey's web attacks, for instance, leveraged the rules for Nets and Bolas.)

Bob P
Sparks, NV
First TFT Played 1 Apr 1981 (no foolin')
BobP is offline   Reply With Quote