Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Dwarf Bread cost of living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I read the rules to say that in town you need to pay an additional $105 per week to maintain a "steady diet" (i.e., three meals per day) of Dwarven Rations,
it isn't clear to me that "steady diet" means three meals a day. Regardless though, my point was that it actually isn't relevant if the character eats other food or not, just that they end up paying for the correct amount of dwarven rations and also the weekly cost of living.
Quote:
You can have raising your cost of living to $255/week.
As noted, this expense is seperate and additional to cost of living.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
Bicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
it isn't clear to me that "steady diet" means three meals a day. Regardless though, my point was that it actually isn't relevant if the character eats other food or not, just that they end up paying for the correct amount of dwarven rations and also the weekly cost of living.
It does relate to the expense question, though. If only a part of your meal is going to be dwarf bread, then you don't need to buy as much dwarf bread as if you were trying to live on bread alone.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
It can't raise cost of living, because then you could use Urban Survival to survive off free gutter dwarf bread!
Yes. I should have been more clear. I just meant "personal expenses."
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I read the rules to say that in town you need to pay an additional $105 per week to maintain a "steady diet" (i.e., three meals per day) of Dwarven Rations, raising your cost of living to $255/week.
For GMs who like DFRPG's "keep things simple" aesthetic, this would be a good spot to toss in a bulk purchase discount that cuts the cost to a clean $100 per week, or $90 for Dwarven Gear.

So. Out of curiosity, has anyone come up with specifics for Orc Rations*, Cat-Folk Rations**, Halfling Rations***, etc.?

* HT roll to avoid nausea or disease? (Resistance to Poison/Disease applies.) But oh-so-inexpensive. Just don't ask what's in it.
** Meat-, fish- and dairy-based, prepared for finicky tastes. Higher cost, but steady diet gives extra Night Vision (and a silkier, shinier coat). (Tip for socializing with Cat-Folk: Do play with your food. And when you've finished your pint, knock the mug off the table.)
*** Just normal rations, but doubled. Generally includes potatoes (pronounced either "taters" or "PO-TAY-TOES"). Steady diet decreases severity of Gluttony (and complaining about "second breakfast" and "elevenses" and all that).

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
It does relate to the expense question, though. If only a part of your meal is going to be dwarf bread, then you don't need to buy as much dwarf bread as if you were trying to live on bread alone.
You aren't actually tracking individual meals though, you just pay $150 each week in town and we assume you can adventure without any starvation effects. You pay that anyway whether you are eating dwarf bread or not, and the amount of dwarf bread you need is whatever "a steady diet" requires.

Nobody cares that you ate roast game bird on Wargodsday with a flagon of mead and cheese and apples on Bloodsday, and skipped the stew on Wizardswatch because you didn't like the grey lumps in it. All that matters is that you paid for Cost of Living (or used Survival or Urban Survival instead to live rough) and optionally if you paid N*$5 for enough dwarven rations for a "steady diet". If N=21 then maybe you only ate dwarf rations, or maybe you ate that other stuff too, but it doesn't actually matter either way because you paid for both and "hour by hour slice of life of what you ate during the week" is way too much focus on town.

Personally, absent Kromm ruling on this, I would be inclined to say N=7 because one meal-equivalent per day is the smallest whole integer amount that I would personally reckon to be part of a steady diet. I usually eat either oatmeal or granola for breakfast, which I reckon qualifies as a "steady diet" of whole oats, even though I don't eat oats and nothing but oats morning, noon and night.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-07-2018 at 07:11 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #16
Bruno

I would be strict and say 3 meals a day, seven days a week; you can put meat or cheese or butter on your Dwarven Rations, and drink ale with it, I don't particularly care about that bit.

If you skip it at one meal because you're getting sick of Dwarven Rations and really want some of that potted venison and frumenty the rest of the party ordered at the tavern, you're going to be stuck eating that third ration that day anyways to count as "steady diet".

I assume the Dwarven Rations are nutritionally complete, not that it matters rules-wise. They're probably made with 1/3 giant cave cricket flour for that complete protein.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
Mister Negative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post

I assume the Dwarven Rations are nutritionally complete, not that it matters rules-wise. They're probably made with 1/3 giant cave cricket flour for that complete protein.

It's DWARVES. Dwarf Bread is probably just an exceptionally yeasty beer to them.

"Sure, it's a tad chewy for ale. Not as thick as Old Grandad's Winter Lager, though, eh?"

Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Mister Negative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #18
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Negative View Post
"Sure, it's a tad chewy for ale. Not as thick as Old Grandad's Winter Lager, though, eh?"
"Ah, Old Grandad's, now that's a beer ya can bludgeon a man to death with!"
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote