Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Hide

Default Anything special for barefooted PCs?

Hey there!

I am building a barefooted PC, a sort of ascetic monk. This is the first time I think about it, and I have been wondering if going barefooted will have any special effects on my character.

My current setting features cold weather, snow, slippery surfaces and boats. Perhaps, I will fight by the mouth of a volcano soon.

Am I going to have extra penalties compared to my companions wearing boots?

We are using the following books: Basic, Dungeon Fantasy, Powers, Power Ups & Martial Arts.

I also want to kick harder, I think the solution would be a striker. If I buy a striker, is it going to cover both my hands and feet under the same price?

Thanks!
- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Anything special for barefooted PCs?

If you can afford it, DR 1 (though skin, feet only) [1] is realistic and recommended.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

I would suggest an Iron Feet technique, which would give the character DR 1 (Partial, Feet, -40%; Tough Skin, -40%) [1]. It would actually arguably be a realistic perk since people who walk barefoot tend to develop very tough feet (though more than two levels would be cinematic). A sufficiently toughened foot, requiring one or more levels of Iron Feet and Unusual Training (Toughened Foot), might allow for a realistic development of Blunt Claws [3] for the feet only, which would give +1 damage per dice for kicks only and would represent the toughening of the heel and ball of the foot until it is capable of dealing massive damage.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
JoelSammallahti

I'm not sure about those books, but in Low-Tech (p. 98), bare feet are mentioned as giving +1 to Stealth.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
mr beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
I am building a barefooted PC, a sort of ascetic monk. This is the first time I think about it, and I have been wondering if going barefooted will have any special effects on my character.

My current setting features cold weather, snow, slippery surfaces and boats. Perhaps, I will fight by the mouth of a volcano soon.

Am I going to have extra penalties compared to my companions wearing boots?
That's a GM decision. Personally if you have a barefoot monk as a character concept, I am not going to hit you with additional penalties for mundane weather and surface conditions. Partly because I'm not going to do that level of bookkeeping and partly because it seems a bit unfair to agree with your character concept and then penalize you in every fight because you're not wearing boots.

If asked for justification, I think this counts as a zero point feature of barefoot warriors who are Trained By A Master.

As mentioned above, buying DR 1 for your feet is probably a good idea anyway.

Last edited by PK; 12-19-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Removed racial slur
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #6
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
I'm not sure about those books, but in Low-Tech (p. 98), bare feet are mentioned as giving +1 to Stealth.
So do moccasins and sneakers (High-Tech, p68-69). The baseline for footwear seems to be quite robust boots.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
If asked for justification, I think this counts as a zero point feature of barefoot warriors who are Trained By A Master.

As mentioned above, buying DR 1 for your feet is probably a good idea anyway.
This is awesome and appropriate.

If the character normally wears shoes and then doesn't, I'd certainly start hitting him with penalties. Particuarly outdoors, where everything hurts to walk on that isn't smooth artificial surface or specially cared for grass: a lot of GRASS actually hurts to walk on.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #8
AlexanderHowl

I would require familiarity for each type of terrain for Hiking, Running, etc and give a familiarity penalty if they are in an unfamiliar terrain.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #9
jason taylor

There is an essay somewhere over here http://www.thearma.org/ which argues the accuracy of prints of soldiers wearing soft shoes because no one would really want to fight hand to hand in boots, and boots became more popular when muskets became more popular and thus the need for something to march in is increased.

Whether or not you accept it, it is an interesting idea and one can see a martial artist warrior-monk who prefers to fight barefoot to make him more nimble.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If you can afford it, DR 1 (though skin, feet only) [1] is realistic and recommended.
I wouldn't call feet literally tougher than leather realistic. But it's not usually a game breaker.