Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #1
Harald387

Default "Seeker", and Bards

Bards get Knowledge spells. "Seeker" is a Knowledge spell. It even has a Bardic Talent Prerequisite:

Wizardly: Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1, plus IQ 12+ and at least two “Seek” spells.

However, apart from "Seek Magic", it doesn't appear that Bards can learn any Seek spells in order to meet the prerequisite. Am I missing something?
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Stone Dog

Default Re: "Seeker", and Bards

I don't have the DFRPG yet, but could it be that they can learn the spell for prerequisite purposes, they just can't CAST it?
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
zoncxs

Check the note on page 73 of the Spells pdf. The answer you seek is there.
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 AM   #4
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald387 View Post
Bards get Knowledge spells. "Seeker" is a Knowledge spell. It even has a Bardic Talent Prerequisite:

Wizardly: Magery 1 or Bardic Talent 1, plus IQ 12+ and at least two “Seek” spells.

However, apart from "Seek Magic", it doesn't appear that Bards can learn any Seek spells in order to meet the prerequisite. Am I missing something?
Nope, you're right. Bards cannot cast Seeker. The Bardic Talent prerequisite is still relevant, though, because (say) a half-elf bard might have Magery 0 but Bardic Talent 1, which gives him the right to learn Seeker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
I don't have the DFRPG yet, but could it be that they can learn the spell for prerequisite purposes, they just can't CAST it?
No, the default assumption is that you can't learn a spell that you can't cast. (Many GMs, myself included, rule otherwise; but that's not RAW.)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
scc

[QUOTE=PK;2137868No, the default assumption is that you can't learn a spell that you can't cast. (Many GMs, myself included, rule otherwise; but that's not RAW.)[/QUOTE]
Is this a DFRPG thing or a normal thing? Because I think there's a bit about doing that somewhere in Magic
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

In the DFRPG all spells have either spellcasting talents or other spells that require spellcasting talents as prerequisites. There are none that do not. The most basic wizardly spells require either Magery 0 or Bardic Talent 1. On the whole, elves and half-elves make the best bards because they have access to more magic. This is intended behavior.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
No, the default assumption is that you can't learn a spell that you can't cast. (Many GMs, myself included, rule otherwise; but that's not RAW.)
Ah yes. Found it in GURPS Basic at least, "if you lack the required Magery level, you cannot learn the spell."
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
In the DFRPG all spells have either spellcasting talents or other spells that require spellcasting talents as prerequisites. There are none that do not. The most basic wizardly spells require either Magery 0 or Bardic Talent 1. On the whole, elves and half-elves make the best bards because they have access to more magic. This is intended behavior.
So, do Wizard spells (those learned with Magery 0) qualify as prereqs for "bardic" spells?

The (half-) elven racial templates have magery 0 with no option for increasing it - I don't see any general rule for increasing racial abilities under advancement. Seeker requires Magery 1 or BT 1. An elf Bard can have two seek spells (with Magery 0) and has BT 1. Can he buy Seeker?

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post

So, do Wizard spells (those learned with Magery 0) qualify as prereqs for "bardic" spells?
Yes! They're all wizardly spells. Bards cast the exact same spells . . . they just have weird ritual requirements for doing so.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote