Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Innate Attack melee modifiers for a giant's follow-up?

Say I have a giant. His name is Albert. Albert's reach is C, 1-3 because his SM is 4. Albert is a magical giant of fire, and he wants to be able to punch people with fire when he gets angry. But Albert is confused! He looks at the rules for Follow-Up attacks but doesn't know how to price his own punch! It's nothing like the usual melee limitations for Innate Attack. Albert's reach is C, 1-3 and he can't find anything like it! So what does he do? Make one up? Or does it scale*?

*Example: Albert uses Melee Attack: C because that's what someone with a punch at SM 0 would use which is what the Innate Attack modifiers are based off of. Meaning that a punch would always be treated as a Melee Attack: C limitation for Follow-Ups.

Thanks!
And an extra thanks from Albert!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Quick Question: Innate Attack melee modifiers for a giant's follow-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
Say I have a giant. His name is Albert. Albert's reach is C, 1-3 because his SM is 4. Albert is a magical giant of fire, and he wants to be able to punch people with fire when he gets angry. But Albert is confused! He looks at the rules for Follow-Up attacks but doesn't know how to price his own punch! It's nothing like the usual melee limitations for Innate Attack. Albert's reach is C, 1-3 and he can't find anything like it! So what does he do? Make one up? Or does it scale*?

*Example: Albert uses Melee Attack: C because that's what someone with a punch at SM 0 would use which is what the Innate Attack modifiers are based off of. Meaning that a punch would always be treated as a Melee Attack: C limitation for Follow-Ups.

Thanks!
And an extra thanks from Albert!
Power-Ups 4: Enhancements covers this on p. 9. Powers does as well on p. 146

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Quick Question: Innate Attack melee modifiers for a giant's follow-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Power-Ups 4: Enhancements covers this on p. 9. Powers does as well on p. 146
Aha! I shall check Powers!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Aaand... I can't find it. I checked Innate Attack, the Melee Attack modifier, and Follow-Up. I'm not seeing a single thing about modifying for size...

EDIT: Ignore that. I'm an idiot. You gave me page numbers. I jumped the gun.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Aaand... I still can't find it. I'm not looking for modifying existing damage. I'm looking at Follow-Ups. For Albert's fiery punches. Burning Attack with Follow-Up. But how do I price the Follow-Up? His reach isn't like any of the Melee limitations. What you gave me page numbers for is about making his punches do double knockback, etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Sunrunners_Fire

Is there a reason you aren't using Follow-Up (Natural Attack), +0%? (GURPS Basic, pg 105)
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
gjc8

Per characters p. 105, I'd say Follow-up is +0% in this case. It uses claws or teeth as examples, but the rule appears to apply to any natural weapon, which would include basic punching.
gjc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Is there a reason you aren't using Follow-Up (Natural Attack), +0%? (GURPS Basic, pg 105)
Oh. Oh. Ohh... Oh wow. I finally understand the Follow-Up rules! Epiphany! Because the... And the... Ohh... Yeah, I was just misreading it. Man, I need to get more sleep... Carry on...
Old 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Yeah - I misread, I thought you wanted to make their actual punches fiery. Follow-Up works.

Edit: Do keep in mind that Follow-Up only works after DR has been penetrated. So if you can't do enough physical damage with a natural attack you can't do burning damage either... To get past that buy a Innate Attack and attack a limitation so that it functions as a linked attack. OR you could actually modify their punches with the Incendiary modifier. I suppose you could also allow the giants to convert the damage they do with their fists as a Burning attack. Just buy the innate attack as a alternate attack on their natural weaponry. Slap a modifier up there and you'd be good.

So if they did 2d crushing as their base damage you'd buy a Burning Attack 2d [10] and then treat it as a alternate attack - so the cost would be 2 CP. Then when they'd attack they could either punch for crushing or burning - both 2d. That's just off the top of my head there. It'd probably need playtest.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 06-05-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
albert, innate attack, melee, modifier, size modifier