Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Which sorts of characters are you willing / unwilling to play and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
Humor is personal but labeling someone as a potential sociopath because of a mild joke of understatement and poking a little fun at a board member allegedly being a giant spider (impossible...but I'll get to that) is kind of over the top. Particularly since the entire thing is about imaginary people that do not and maybe cannot exist. There are no bioroids of any kind to be tortured or even be offended by someone making quips about their fictional plight.
The healthy response to even fictional suffering is empathy. It's sociopathic to not demonstrate this. This is actually the basis for the PCL-R.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: Which sorts of characters are you willing / unwilling to play and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Everyone has their limits, even in RP context. Yours are related to racism (which I wonder how interacts with THS PSR-racism).
I don't have a problem with fictional racism. I don't play violently racist PCs because I like to immerse and identify with my PC as much as I can and getting deeply into the mindset of that sort of character does make me uncomfortable. But playing in settings that have it or running NPCs that feel that way is no problem. I've even had PCs with some racist (and sexist or other "ism" attitude) to a lesser degree than violent, "they" are worth nothing/the only good one is a dead one level.

Quote:
Sir_pudding is sensitive to totally meaningless suffering of innocents (based on previous posts - please correct me if I am wrong). I was affected more by the very concept of creating a sapient (heck, just sentient and self-aware) entity for the sole purpose of suffering.
I'm not thrilled by the idea of needless suffering myself. But I also attacking someone based on a low key comment (which was more poking fun at a person over an in-joke tangentially related to the topic at hand) by calling them something as dangerous and vile as a sociopath is a big over reaction.
If someone plays a racist in a rpg I'm not going to accuse them of real life racism without something more to go on.

And again, its fiction, not real. Algonauts and their ilk are a godawful idea (in a credible p0rovocative and entertaining way that makes for good plots) and would be horrible if they existed but they don't (and possibly can't) so I feel there's allot more leeway in reacting to their fictional condition. But I don't like getting smeared because of something that seems so utterly trivial.

Particularly in a hobby where things like the deliberate and methodical assult and killing of thinking beings, theft, grave robbery and desecration and numerous other acts that would be criminal at best and atrocity at worst are fantasized about for fun. The ability to see the difference between fiction and reality seems critical.

Quote:
Eh, no, I meant that the accusation at being squicked out by kinks reads as either deliberately extra ironic, or simply implausible, when the considered together with the character concept that spawned the question.
It wasn't an accusation. It was a joke. I really didn't get a vibe that it was meant to be "plausible" in any sense.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The healthy response to even fictional suffering is empathy. It's sociopathic to not demonstrate this. This is actually the basis for the PCL-R.
It is not sociopathic to not take fictional "suffering" as seriously as actual suffering because, well, there is no suffering involved. If that was true then there are millions of borderline sociopaths wandering around because anyone that's every watched a horror movie and mocked the idiotic antics some of the victims perform or jokingly rooted for the monster/killer are candidates.

For that matter, the comment didn't demonstrate any such lack of feeling. It was a playful remark directed at another poster.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Rape isn't cute and rape jokes aren't funny. I am not going to tolerate people trivializing it. If you have a problem with me, put me on your IL.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Rape isn't cute and rape jokes aren't funny.
Who made a rape joke?

And sorry, you only get to decide what is and isn't funny for yourself not for everyone else. And not sharing your opinion doesn't make anyone a "sociopath" or anything else.

Quote:
I am not going to tolerate people trivializing it. If you have a problem with me, put me on you IL.
You're welcome to do that same.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Who made a rape joke?
Rape is not "kinky sex".

Quote:
You're welcome to do that same.
I can't ignore myself. I wish I could.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #27
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Rape is not "kinky sex".
Who said it was?

Quote:
I can't ignore myself. I wish I could.
If you have a problem with what others say, find funny or whatever, you can ignore them.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #28
ClayDowling

It might be a swell idea to do two things:

1. Limit the conversation in this thread to things in this thread. The big dust up seems to be over something not present in this thread.

2. Remember that there are some members of this particular board who are not neuro-typical, and understand that they are going to have problems in areas related to empathy and socially normative behavior. Please try to make allowances.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Who said it was?
jeff_wilson implied that Vicky's problem with the algonaut was an aversion to "kinky mammal sex". I pointed out that if you think what the algonaut vignette was about (and what algonauts are designed for) is "kinky sex" then you might be a sociopath. Apparently this offends you. Too bad.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #30
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
jeff_wilson implied that Vicky's problem with the algonaut was an aversion to "kinky mammal sex". I pointed out that if you think what the algonaut vignette was about (and what algonauts are designed for) is "kinky sex" then you might be a sociopath. Apparently this offends you. Too bad.
You really seem to lack the ability to grasp concepts like "humor" and "joke" or the difference between fiction and reality. That's unfortunate but it doesn't offend me.

What offended me is you labeling a real person a very insulting thing (and by implication me as well since I felt much the same way).

Tags
roleplaying