Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #11
Bicorn

Default Re: Absolute Pitch = Costs how much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraviolet View Post
Same goes for the reverse: Tone deafness and awful singing abilities shouldn't yield high disadvantage values. Unless combined with Delusion (I am a great singer) once talent shows for nation tv is a thing ;)
I'd treat that as an Odious Personal Habit, as the reaction penalty is the main practical problem. The underlying causes (tone deafness and Delusion:I so can sing) are just quirks.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I have a player that wants to take Absolute pitch (also known as Perfect Pitch), and I'm having to create it. Given what it does I'm having a bit of a problem balancing the cost in relation to Relative Pitch which does much the same thing, but requires a reference tone.

By the wiki entry:
Absolute pitch implies some or all of the following abilities, achieved without a reference tone:
• Identify by name individual pitches (e.g. F♯, A, G, C) played on various instruments.
• Name the key of a given piece of tonal music.
• Reproduce a piece of tonal music in the correct key days after hearing it.
• Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass.
• Accurately sing a named pitch.
• Name the pitches of common everyday sounds such as car horns, phone keys and alarms.
• Detect subtle changes in vocal tones.
Isn΄t this discriminatory hearing by the basic set rules?
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
I have a player that wants to take Absolute pitch (also known as Perfect Pitch), and I'm having to create it. Given what it does I'm having a bit of a problem balancing the cost in relation to Relative Pitch which does much the same thing, but requires a reference tone.

By the wiki entry:
Absolute pitch implies some or all of the following abilities, achieved without a reference tone:
• Identify by name individual pitches (e.g. F♯, A, G, C) played on various instruments.
• Name the key of a given piece of tonal music.
• Reproduce a piece of tonal music in the correct key days after hearing it.
• Identify and name all the tones of a given chord or other tonal mass.
• Accurately sing a named pitch.
• Name the pitches of common everyday sounds such as car horns, phone keys and alarms.
• Detect subtle changes in vocal tones.
You can even go for discriminatory hearing, profiling, I guess :)
Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #14
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Not a bad observation, but I'd say Discriminatory Hearing goes even further. Perfect pitch is part of DH, but DH is even more, able to analyze and remember entire sound patterns. The RAW examples are using sonar to identify particular submarines (individual subs, not even just the class of ship), as well as other machines, as well as "always" recognizing people by voice.

DH does include all the bullet points in the OP. Notice that identifying chords is the only one of those that involves multiple pitches at once, whereas such patterns in not just frequency space, but time, are part of DH.

Or to look at it the other way around, you might think of Perfect Pitch as a kind of Perk-level Discriminatory Hearing.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It isn't in reality. Being able to name and remember something does not mean you have significantly improved ability to detect it.

I'm bad at remembering colors, but my ability to see them is perfectly fine.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #16
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It isn't in reality. Being able to name and remember something does not mean you have significantly improved ability to detect it.

I'm bad at remembering colors, but my ability to see them is perfectly fine.
By these sentence you are looking into a limited form of eidetic memory :)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #17
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Or more likely, entirely separate advantages that have nothing to do with "perfect pitch" you ought to be charging for separately. That's certainly case for most fiction it appears in, the actual ability to remember pitches isn't the thing that's worthwhile, it's the fact nobody (relevant to the story anyway) has it unless they *also* have some ungodly number of levels of Musical Talent.
Or it's treated as basically a quirk; I recall a character who had it but no musical skill to speak of, but hated being around amateur musicians because they kept fluffing notes.
That said, the phone phreaker known as "Joybubbles" took advantage of perfect pitch to mimic telephone control tones, so there's potential adventuring uses in the right setting and circumstance.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
By these sentence you are looking into a limited form of eidetic memory :)
In a way. The ability to remember and name a note is memory that allows one to make the note assuming one has the Skill to do so normally.

It's like how tone deafness does not harm ability to learn tonal languages much if at all. They can tell a note from one higher or lower if they occur close together in time.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Or it's treated as basically a quirk; I recall a character who had it but no musical skill to speak of, but hated being around amateur musicians because they kept fluffing notes.
That said, the phone phreaker known as "Joybubbles" took advantage of perfect pitch to mimic telephone control tones, so there's potential adventuring uses in the right setting and circumstance.
That's actually something different. It has nothing to do with identifying the pitches. It isn't even a necessary component. Being able to produce a close enough copy of a pattern the phone company equipment accepts it doesn't *require* you to be able to identify the pitches, or even get them spot on, given there has to be some allowance for distortions. It's a skill (or more likely a One Task Wonder) that probably doesn't even get a bonus from Perfect Pitch, though I suppose I'd allow Musical Talent to add.