Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
TON3R

Default Runaway

Ok, so this is a very simple question, with a very simple answer, but a friend I play with won't let it go.

He believes that when you are running away, if you roll a 1, you should automatically lose, regardless of any bonuses you have to runaway (I once had enough stacked in a game of Apocalypse/Original Munchkin that I couldn't lose a runaway). Likewise, he believes that if you roll a 6, you should automatically escape, regardless of any negative effects to your runaway.

Like I said, I know it is silly, but can I get an official ruling to quiet him once and for all?

Thanks
TON3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TON3R View Post
Ok, so this is a very simple question, with a very simple answer, but a friend I play with won't let it go.

He believes that when you are running away, if you roll a 1, you should automatically lose, regardless of any bonuses you have to runaway (I once had enough stacked in a game of Apocalypse/Original Munchkin that I couldn't lose a runaway). Likewise, he believes that if you roll a 6, you should automatically escape, regardless of any negative effects to your runaway.

Like I said, I know it is silly, but can I get an official ruling to quiet him once and for all?

Thanks
I can't imagine that an official ruling would quiet him, if he's willing to make stuff up that isn't in the printed rules and insist on it. Sounds like he wants to apply a house rule that he thinks is a good idea, and is trying to insist that everybody else should go along no matter what the rules say.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
anthooony

If he wants to play house rules, I guess it floats but officially .. if you have enough gear to help you runaway completely without rolling then you can. For instance, lets say you have a Tuba which gives a person +3 runaway and you're an Elf which is +1 runaway and you initially have to roll a 5 or higher to escape successfully from combat, you automatically runaway since 5-4 = 1 which is the last number you'd have to roll. Hope that makes sense. Haha.
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthooony View Post
if you have enough gear to help you runaway completely without rolling then you can.
I still have people roll, even if every number on the die would be a success (or failure). I figure you need to have a roll for the roll to be modified...

But maybe that's just me.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
anthooony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I still have people roll, even if every number on the die would be a success (or failure). I figure you need to have a roll for the roll to be modified...

But maybe that's just me.
Definitely, I still roll even though I would successfully runaway either way. It just makes it official :D
anthooony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

I'll state, officially, since I can actually do that, that your friend is incorrect. Nowhere in the rules is that established, stated, mentioned, or even hinted at. If my official statement is still not enough, ask him to show the exact line(s) in the Munchkin rules which establish the rule your friend seems to think exists.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
TON3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
I'll state, officially, since I can actually do that, that your friend is incorrect. Nowhere in the rules is that established, stated, mentioned, or even hinted at. If my official statement is still not enough, ask him to show the exact line(s) in the Munchkin rules which establish the rule your friend seems to think exists.
That's ok, this should do just fine. We always tell him he is off his rocker, but for some reason he feels that it should be the case. *shrug*

Thanks for the official ruling, however silly the question was.
TON3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
six's monkey

The feel of "critical" success or failure results and the consequent anticipation bring much of the thrill of gambling, but having them come up a third of the time seems overwhelming.. Perhaps your group could work up a house rule that lets a player 'buy' those chances somehow, or let him opt-in to that risk if it increases his fun.
six's monkey is offline   Reply With Quote