Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Anders

Default [LT] Shotgun help

The Halfling in my DF campaign decided to take a double-barreled shotgun as his ranged weapon (I allow gunpowder). So the weapon does (0.5) 1d+1 pi- and has a RoF 2x175. If I understand the rules correctly, the pellets do (0.5) 88d+88 pi- against foes in close range, although DR is also increased 88 times. But if it hits anything without DR and within close range, it is vaporized. That seems excessive. Help?

Last edited by Anders; 10-17-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
OverDrunk

Default Re: Shotgun help

Well you could treat as though DR0 is DR1, the same as for fractional Armor Divisors.
Although i just started with GURPS, so my advise might be not the best one: )
OverDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
The Halfling in my DF campaign decided to take a double-barreled shotgun as his ranged weapon (I allow gunpowder). So the weapon does (0.5) 1d+1 pi- and has a RoF 2x175. If I understand the rules correctly, the pellets do (0.5) 88d+88 pi- against foes in close range, although DR is also increased 88 times. But if it hits anything without DR and within close range, it is vaporized. That seems excessive. Help?
See the Basic Set, p. 409.

And Gack! I read it wrong.

You have it right: each shot gets x88 damage, and x88 DR, but DR 0 is treated as DR 1. Also, I'd KEEP the 0.5 around, so DR counts as x175. So you'd be rolling 88d+88 pi- vs DR 175 per point of DR.

This doesn't seem a great solution to me, though.

Finally, a 1d+1 pellet is going to be something like #4 buckshot, which is more like 21 pellets per shot. At 175 pellets per, you're talking about #5 shot in lead, or #3 shot in steel. That's much less damaging: about 1d-1 penetration, and about the equivalent of a 0.11 wound channel modifier (pi----- :-) ).

What I do in my house rules for stuff like this is to group pellets together until they earn their full pi- modifier. In this case, treat it as 1d-1 pi-, but with an RoF of 38 rather than 175.

For the actual 1d+1 pi- load, 're talking the equivalent of about 17 pellets per shot.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 10-16-2011 at 01:47 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
talonthehand

Quote:
That seems like a really massive ROF.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Anders

Ahh... I thought you multiplied by the number of projectiles, not by the bonus. That makes more sense.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Ahh... I thought you multiplied by the number of projectiles, not by the bonus. That makes more sense.
You do; I got it wrong. I misread it initially, then looked at the example, and saw you had it right the first time.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
That seems like a really massive ROF.
It's a very real number of pellets per shot, but the 1d+1 figure is too high unless the shotgun looks like two small beer kegs with a handle. :-)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
See the Basic Set, p. 409.

And Gack! I read it wrong.

You have it right: each shot gets x88 damage, and x88 DR, but DR 0 is treated as DR 1. Also, I'd KEEP the 0.5 around, so DR counts as x175. So you'd be rolling 88d+88 pi- vs DR 175 per point of DR.

This doesn't seem a great solution to me, though.

Finally, a 1d+1 pellet is going to be something like #4 buckshot, which is more like 21 pellets per shot. At 175 pellets per, you're talking about #5 shot in lead, or #3 shot in steel. That's much less damaging: about 1d-1 penetration, and about the equivalent of a 0.11 wound channel modifier (pi----- :-) ).

What I do in my house rules for stuff like this is to group pellets together until they earn their full pi- modifier. In this case, treat it as 1d-1 pi-, but with an RoF of 38 rather than 175.

For the actual 1d+1 pi- load, 're talking the equivalent of about 17 pellets per shot.
Could it be an errata for Low-Tech?
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
DouglasCole

Quote:
Could it be an errata for Low-Tech?
I don't think so, necessarily. The TL4 fowling piece that seems to be your model only does 1 HP more penetration than the TL4 blunderbuss, with the rules for birdshot from High Tech added on.

I'd house-rule it, if anything.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Anders

Meh. I like your faulty reading of the rules better. 3d+3 damage it is.

Tags
shotguns