Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
SirGavvin

Default [MH] I need a disadvantage similar to enemy or secret or something

So, I am gearing up to run a MH campaign based on Larry Corriea's Monster Hunter International series.

I am trying to build his orcs (and other races) as a playable race.

For those not familiar with the books, non-human races tend to have a bounty on them from the government. Anyone who is read-in on the existence of the supernatural can collect these bounties. The US government has an FBI-like agency called the Monster Control Bureau. The MCB is usually tasked more with spin-control and containment than actually exterminating monsters (though they do have Strike teams they can call in for emergencies) and are not eligible to collect bounties.

Any race of monsters that are generally inimical to humans will be under the bounty systems. Other races that can generally coexist peacefully (Elves), are exempt from it so long as they behave in such a way as to keep their (and other monsters) existence a secret. The organization that the PCs belong to has a working relationship with a tribe of Orcs and protects them. In return, the tribe provides them with several individuals to help out.The government knows about them and (kinda) looks the other way so long as they are behaving.

So... a PC Orc would have to completly cover themselves in public (Characters in the book go for balaclavas, googles, long sleeves and pants, gloves, etc) or risk exposure and government wrath, death from rival hunters, etc.

PC Elves (by virtue of taking an active role in hunting) are more or less breaking their racial parole and subject to the same penalties.

What sort of racial disadvantage would you apply to these PC races? Enemy doesn't feel right... The MCB are going to show up at pretty much every site of monster activity. I'm not sure Secret is right either because of the frequency roll.

What would be a good way to model this disadvantage?
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: [MH] I need a disadvantage similar to enemy or secret or something

Social Stigma (Monster).
Old 03-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
SirGavvin

I thought about Social Stigma, but it didn't really convey the whole "If I am revealed, I could die" thing. Still, it might be the best way to go.
SirGavvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGavvin View Post
I'm not sure Secret is right either because of the frequency roll.
As GM, you have discretion over if, when and why you make Secret rolls. You aren't required to obey the rules faithfully.

If a PC is sensible, don't hang around for the MCB to turn up, and generally takes precautions against being caught, their secret doesn't have to be threatened every time the MCB is around.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
dcarson

The Secret roll coming up doesn't mean the Secret is revealed, it means it is at risk. So you need to convince a bystander that they didn't see what they thought, convince a bureau guy that you area a safe orc and can be ignored, etc.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote