Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Unwashed Mass

Default Kusari questions

If a kusarigama, kusarijutte, kusaritoaster, kusari-whatever wielder is disarmed, does he drop the entire weapon, or just the side that his opponent targeted?

If you're keeping track of damage to weapons, what are the DR/HP for a Kusari-XXX weapon? LTC2 lists Kusari and all the different Kusari variants as having different values. Would breaking a kusari-XXX weapon result in (possibly) a broken kusari attached to the other weapon or the other weapon being broken?

If you parry a kusari attack with your own kusari and your weapon gets entangled, could you, on your turn, attempt a disarm? Would this be possible with any weapon user that gets their weapon entangled by a kusari?
Unwashed Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Kusari questions

Don't know if the RAW addresses it, but I might rule that only a failure by X or more (where X is whatever seems rght) will knock a weapon out of both hands. Is there a bonus to resist disarm with two-handed weapons?

Feels like X should be low for a close grip, higher for a wide grip, and higher yet for a grip on either side of a flexible connection.

ETA: With my books, now. Defender gets +2 to resist disarm if using a two handed weapon.

Last edited by RyanW; 07-19-2015 at 03:10 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Culture20

I would rule a two handed chain or rope weapon to be its own thong for purposes of disarming, but only for a skilled user.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unwashed Mass View Post
If a kusarigama, kusarijutte, kusaritoaster, kusari-whatever wielder is disarmed, does he drop the entire weapon, or just the side that his opponent targeted?
The wielder loses the entire weapon.
Quote:
If you're keeping track of damage to weapons, what are the DR/HP for a Kusari-XXX weapon?
If the chain is attacked, the value is established, If XXX is targetted, use the value for that weapon's entry.
Quote:
Would breaking a kusari-XXX weapon result in (possibly) a broken kusari attached to the other weapon or the other weapon being broken?
Yes. Either may be appropriate. It's up to the GM how this turns out (unless a specific part of the weapon is targeted).

Quote:
If you parry a kusari attack with your own kusari and your weapon gets entangled, could you, on your turn, attempt a disarm? Would this be possible with any weapon user that gets their weapon entangled by a kusari?
No. Entanglement is equivalent to being in a grapple, and a disarm is an attack, and you cannot attack with something that is currently grappled.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:10 PM   #5
Unwashed Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
The wielder loses the entire weapon.
That sounds right.
Quote:
If the chain is attacked, the value is established, If XXX is targetted, use the value for that weapon's entry.
Then why are two different kusari weapons, other than the standard kusari, listed in LTC2?

Quote:
No. Entanglement is equivalent to being in a grapple, and a disarm is an attack, and you cannot attack with something that is currently grappled.
But this just seems.. weird. If my weapon is wrapped up by his chain, my only recourse is to wait for him to disarm me or attempt DX rolls to get the chain off?

For some reason I can't make a Ready maneuver of my own to try and pull the weapon from his grasp? Perhaps a Break Free roll then since you are equating it with a grapple?
Old 07-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
Kuba

Quote:
But this just seems.. weird. If my weapon is wrapped up by his chain, my only recourse is to wait for him to disarm me or attempt DX rolls to get the chain off?

For some reason I can't make a Ready maneuver of my own to try and pull the weapon from his grasp? Perhaps a Break Free roll then since you are equating it with a grapple?
There are two portions of the chain, the part between your hands, and the part out swinging. If they've wrapped your weapon with their chain, they've wrapped the part between your hands. It's not a symmetric situation.
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
You can certainly use a free hand and make a ready maneuver and free your weapon on a DX check, that's the normal method for disentanglement. You can then re-ready your weapon.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
Unwashed Mass

I've reread the section about getting your weapon entangled by a kusari and nowhere does it mention that you cannot use your weapon.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Sabaron

If a kusarigama is disarmed or retained in its entirety each time it is targeted, then how does parrying a disarm attempt work? Normally you can only parry with the weapon targeted, but kusarigamas have two different parries available at different skill levels (-2U for the kusari, 0 for the kama). Can you parry with either? Both (Cross Parry)? Only the specific one targeted?
Sabaron is offline   Reply With Quote