Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
MatthewVilter

Default [High-Tech] Recoil between shots/bursts for shotguns and High-Cyclic Controlled Burst

As I understand High-Cyclic Controlled Bursts you still feel the full recoil for firing 3 shots, just not until after the 3rd round leaves the barrel of the gun.

Of course with shotguns you feel the recoil after firing each shell whether firing slugs or buckshot.

I light of this doesn't it make sense for recoil to play more of a role when firing, say, 3x9 or 9# as opposed to 1x9 or 3#?
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: [High-Tech] Recoil between shots/bursts for shotguns and High-Cyclic Controlled B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
As I understand High-Cyclic Controlled Bursts you still feel the full recoil for firing 3 shots, just not until after the 3rd round leaves the barrel of the gun.

Of course with shotguns you feel the recoil after firing each shell whether firing slugs or buckshot.

I light of this doesn't it make sense for recoil to play more of a role when firing, say, 3x9 or 9# as opposed to 1x9 or 3#?
Felt recoil is meaningless when discussing the Gurps RCL stat. RCL is something else entirely specifically dispersal of shots.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [High-Tech] Recoil between shots/bursts for shotguns and High-Cyclic Controlled B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post

It already does, in a sense.

You won't hit with a single pellet that can't be attributed to your first shell or burst until you've achieved an MoS of 9 or 3, respectively.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
apoc527

Fred is correct, but I also agree with the OP. There is something odd about the way that High Cyclic Controlled Bursts go. It's supposed to be like firing 3 shots with the massive recoil of one shot. But then you do this 3 times in a second and yet you still get Rcl 1?

The part that bugs me most is that you get the RoF bonus from firing 9 shots. It seems to me that you are actually firing three shots, and thus should get no actual RoF bonus. It's just the 3 "shots" are actually 3-round bursts with Rcl 1.

I might adopt that as a house rule, actually.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Fred is correct, but I also agree with the OP. There is something odd about the way that High Cyclic Controlled Bursts go. It's supposed to be like firing 3 shots with the massive recoil of one shot. But then you do this 3 times in a second and yet you still get Rcl 1?

The part that bugs me most is that you get the RoF bonus from firing 9 shots. It seems to me that you are actually firing three shots, and thus should get no actual RoF bonus. It's just the 3 "shots" are actually 3-round bursts with Rcl 1.

I might adopt that as a house rule, actually.
HCCB is just another place where any simple system for estimating shot spread is going to fall apart.

One possible way to do it is like this:
When you set a gun to HCCB is has Rcl 2. Determine if you will hit normally.
If you hit roll to see how much of the burst hits. Treat this as another attack made with Skill 22+Acc (whether you aimed or not) modified only by Range and SM and with Rcl 1.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
HCCB is just another place where any simple system for estimating shot spread is going to fall apart.

If you hit roll to see how much of the burst hits. Treat this as another attack made with Skill 22+Acc (whether you aimed or not) modified only by Range and SM and with Rcl 1.
I would want to avoid adding much in the way of extra rolls. Maybe just 1d6/2 to see how many of the 3 rounds hit. This is assuming that with HCCB all three rounds of the burst stay tightly grouped, rather than dispersing the way a shotgun blast does.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #7
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I would want to avoid adding much in the way of extra rolls. Maybe just 1d6/2 to see how many of the 3 rounds hit. This is assuming that with HCCB all three rounds of the burst stay tightly grouped, rather than dispersing the way a shotgun blast does.
They will disperse just like anything will, at 100 meters they won't be a neat clump. The 22+Acc is meant to represent the amount of dispersion they would experience coming out of different guns.

(I do agree that lots of extra die rolls are unpleasant.)
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
apoc527

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
That's not a bad solution, but honestly, I don't mind just using Rcl 1 to simulate the effects of HCCB. I just don't like that you also get the normal RoF bonus to hit. If you treat 3 HCCBs in a second as 3 shots, that's a RoF bonus of 0 instead of +2 for 9 shots. Not a bad trade off with guns -- you can either choose HCCB setting for Rcl 1 on up to 9 shots but no RoF bonus OR you can fire at the weapon's non-HCCB ROF, have Rcl 2 and get the normal RoF bonus.

I care more about the game mechanical choices than I do the realism level here. GURPS is already 1x10^5 more realistic than any other system I've actually played, so if I defer somewhat to gamism every so often, no skin off my teeth!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
That's not a bad solution, but honestly, I don't mind just using Rcl 1 to simulate the effects of HCCB. I just don't like that you also get the normal RoF bonus to hit. If you treat 3 HCCBs in a second as 3 shots, that's a RoF bonus of 0 instead of +2 for 9 shots. Not a bad trade off with guns -- you can either choose HCCB setting for Rcl 1 on up to 9 shots but no RoF bonus OR you can fire at the weapon's non-HCCB ROF, have Rcl 2 and get the normal RoF bonus.
Oh, I'm with you there. I'd like to see a system where you can pretty freely trade between Rcl (shot spread) and RoF to-hit bonus. For example, un-choking a shotgun so the pellets disperse even more than usual, resulting in fewer hits but a higher chance of at least some hits.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
This at least sounds like it should be quite realistic.

Quote:
This seems like a pretty effective game mechanic.

Quote:
I care more about the game mechanical choices than I do the realism level here. GURPS is already 1x10^5 more realistic than any other system I've actually played, so if I defer somewhat to gamism every so often, no skin off my teeth!
I really just want something that is quick to explain and at least symbolically represents reality. :)

Any thoughts on how this problem applies to shotguns?
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-cyclic, high-tech, recoil, rof, shotguns