Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-17-2019, 04:38 AM   #1
David Bofinger

Default Weaker Forms of Shapeshift

Shapeshift is a powerful spell with a high IQ requirement. Would it be good to also have some weaker forms of it, available at lower IQ? Such as:
  • Limited duration: e.g. a minute, or an hour.
  • Only one form: e.g. Allows you to transform into an owl, or a human of the opposite sex.
  • Lower attributes: e.g. The new form has a ST+DX total 5 points lower than when untransformed.
  • Less control of attributes: the new ST and DX are proportional to the form's usual characteristics. e.g. If a figure is human (standard ST 10, DX 10) but relatively agile and slender for a human (ST 11, DX 15), and it is transformed into a giant spider (standard ST 16, DX 10) then the new figure will be a relatively agile and slender web-slinger with ST 14, DX 12. OK, this is way too complex, but a simpler version.
  • Lower intelligence: e.g. The new form has animal intelligence. Hopefully you will have some method of transforming back, and your friends will find you if you wander off.
  • Limited control: e.g. The character must spend at least four waking hours of each day in a form or it becomes harder to enter that form.
  • Each form has a specified downside. e.g. If you transform into a unicorn you'll become obsessed with following virgins about.

I'm not saying all of these, but would any be interesting?
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Weaker Forms of Shapeshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bofinger View Post
[*]Only one form: e.g. Allows you to transform into an owl, or a human of the opposite sex.
Already exists as a $10k magic item.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Jack O'All Trades

Default Re: Weaker Forms of Shapeshift

I've never loved the RAW for shapeshifting - they are elegant but they don't seem to do what people want from magical shapeshifting in my experience.

I think a house-ruled "become the average of X species" but with some modification of starting stats and some other limitations (maximum size?) and downsides would make a good spell.
Jack O'All Trades is offline   Reply With Quote