Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
EskrimadorNC

Default Re: Need some help with hand-to-hand combat/Martial Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
Keep in mind that the guy with Boxing-20 probably has some points into Health and DX, increasing his base dodge, and the guy with Boxing-11 is taking telegraphic attacks just to have a chance of hitting the face.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the Boxing 20 and Boxing 11 guys are fighting each other.

And all other things being equal (Say DX 12, HT 12, BS 6, Dodge 9), both Boxers in the above example can dodge the punches from a JKD Guy (Karate-14) at the same exact chance for success:

Boxing-11 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)
Boxing-20 guy dodges on a 9 or lower (12 or lower on a retreat)

I'll stop beating a dead horse now. It's basically outside the scope of GURPS. Non-contact defenses that are effective against strikes AND scale with skill level do not exist in this game. It's cool. I just have to come to terms with it.

Quote:
Yeah, you could even add telegraphic to the knee, to signify "winding-up" the knee as you grapple the torso.
Gotcha. That's very good to know. It adds a lot of flexibility to Combos and rapid strikes.

Quote:
You can actually grapple the groin. See Testicle Grab, on page 40 of Technical Grappling.

But as stated in Martial Arts, p. 118, a grapple to the torso suffices to Grab and Smash: the torso, vitals, groin or spine.
Thanks for the clarity. No clue how I missed that, but yeah, it all makes sense.

All in all, I think GURPS does a much better job of modeling real-world unarmed combat better than any other game system I've ever played. I'm very happy with how these rule sets work out.
EskrimadorNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial arts, rapid strike, technical grappling