Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
GWJ

Default Battle Start Distance

Is there any formula for "distance at which one party detects the other party" for given terrain (or just dungeon)? I can't find anything
GWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Battle Start Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWJ View Post
Is there any formula for "distance at which one party detects the other party" for given terrain (or just dungeon)? I can't find anything
No, no formula. It's too situational.

If you kick in a door, you'll see the bad guys (you hope) within the room, where they're standing.

If you're wandering through a forest, you'll hear, see, or smell the other guys at some point, depending on the quality of Perception rolls. Since these rolls are penalized by distance, you can theoretically work out how far away average detection might be, but there's no easy way.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
No, no formula. It's too situational.

If you kick in a door, you'll see the bad guys (you hope) within the room, where they're standing.

If you're wandering through a forest, you'll hear, see, or smell the other guys at some point, depending on the quality of Perception rolls. Since these rolls are penalized by distance, you can theoretically work out how far away average detection might be, but there's no easy way.
That's how I work it. You roll vs. Perception (or Observation if it seems relevant), and the margin of success vs. the Range/Speed Table (or the Hearing Distance Table, HT158, for sounds) says how far away the other side is detected, after applying a sanity check for line-of-sight (you aren't going to be seeing far in solid rain forest regrowth, no matter how good your roll).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
GWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
That's how I work it. You roll vs. Perception (or Observation if it seems relevant), and the margin of success vs. the Range/Speed Table (or the Hearing Distance Table, HT158, for sounds) says how far away the other side is detected, after applying a sanity check for line-of-sight (you aren't going to be seeing far in solid rain forest regrowth, no matter how good your roll).
That "sanity check" is my main unkown thing :P
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

That's down to Perception/Observation rolls. I apply the range penalty from the Speed/Range table and a bonus/penalty based on SM (and any other bonuses/penalties from Ads and Disads, magic items, etc).

You roll (or let the PCs roll), Perception if they're in a hurry, Observation if they're taking their time (or Perception if it's better). If they succeed, they spot the enemy. If they fail, note the Margin of Failure. When the Speed/Range penalties decrease enough that they could have succeeded, they spot the enemy.

Personally I keep a list of the PCs Perception scores and apply Douglas Coles Rule of Passive 14... unless the PCs are being very cautious and trying to scout. Then I let them roll or Take 10 (basically passive 14 with a +4 bonus).

[EDIT]
Had to track down Doug's blogpage on it... Rule of 14 for Passive Abilities.

I should really just bookmark that page as often as I aim people at it...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 02-08-2019 at 12:36 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

I have my Players roll Perception/Observation every time they go into a new area, be that a room or new section of wilderness. Even if there is nothing of note there.

And I don't tell them the penalties or bonuses, I just ask for their Margin of Success/Failure.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Black Leviathan

I use the range table most of the time. So if someone is stealthing close to a fire or a noisy group and the enemy makes their contested roll by 5 to spot you then they catch sight of you about 10 yards away. If they fail to detect you then you're on top of them before they notice. If neither group is being particularly attentive then their margin of success is their Perception minus any penalties for darkness or cover.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
GWJ

Hmmm I'm speaking more about wandering monsters, at the moment, as an alternative to the "you are seeing monster emm... 40 yard from you..." :) And especially specific penalties for (for example) forest terrain, swamp terrain, plan (+0?) terrain, etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Hmmm I'm speaking more about wandering monsters, at the moment, as an alternative to the "you are seeing monster emm... 40 yard from you..." :)
Well... you know the Per of the party and monsters right?

Quote:
And especially specific penalties for (for example) forest terrain, swamp terrain, plan (+0?) terrain, etc.
Mmmm. My rough Per/Observation penalties:

Terrain Contours:
Flat: +5
Short Rolling Hills*: +0
Extreme Hills: -5

Vegetation Height Relative to the Searchers:
None: +5
Short "waist high" vegetation: +0
Tall vegetation: -2.5

Density:
Medium density vegetation: -2.5 (many places to hide, but still easy to move around)
High density vegetation: +0 if hiders moving, -5 if hiders stationary

* Note, if the PCs are "hugging the valleys" and not cresting hills, it's -5.
† Relative to searchers.

And this can apply to dungeon settings as well. Long, straight, empty corridors? +10.

Short, twisty, full of furniture to hide behind? -10.

Noise? If I'm being overly 'realistic' I give a bonus equal to the worst Encumbrance penalty of the 'hiders'.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #10
Captain Joy

Quote:
You might find my expansion of the Stealth skill useful (or too much math to be playable).
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote