Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: When Modular Abilities Cost Less

I was actually looking at Supers (p. 27) and it says the following:

"If the modifier affects Modular Abilities as a whole, use it to adjust the overall cost of Modular Abilities; if it only affects the functioning of a specific advantage, use it to adjust that cost. This can allow an advantage to fit into a slot worth fewer points than its unmodified cost."

So, from my reading of Supers, Modular Abilities can cost less than the abilities that they are allocating.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #22
TGLS

My readin is like this:

"if [the modifier] only affects the functioning of a specific advantage, use [the modifier] to adjust [the specific advantage] cost. This can allow an advantage to fit into a slot worth fewer points than its unmodified cost."

So it's basically saying if the modular ability would be modified in some way to affect specific advantages, you apply the modifier to the cost of the specific advantages. So if my modular ability let's me add abilities with the Magic power modifier, then I add Magic (-10%) on to every advantage I stick in that slot.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #23
AlexanderHowl

No, Powers (p. 64) specifically forbids adding the source modifier to the abilities purchased by point allocation. You can only add the source modifier to the Modular Ability.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
TGLS

OK then, apply some other modifier, say the modular ability only grants combat abilities with Accessibility (Not Priests) and unrestricted non-combat abilities. Then you apply Accessibility (Not Priests) to any combat abilities you buy.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #25
AlexanderHowl

That is an example of a trait-limited Modular Ability, not a Modular Ability with Accessibility (Non-Priests Only). When you look at the examples in Supers (p. 46), the modifiers apply to the entire Modular Ability and the costs only work if you modify the cost of the slots and the pool. Anyway, you cannot apply the same modifiers to the abilities bought by the allocation of points (it is specifically forbidden in Powers and Supers). Now, you can use the allocated points to purchase modified abilities, like an Innate Attack with Melee or Mind Control with Suggestion, but neither ability receives any of the modifiers of the Modular Ability.