Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #31
oma

Default Re: Designing Vampires

Being careful is not the major issue as I think they are probably less dangerous than some of the other versions of Vampires, especially since they don't get all the powers to shapechange and such. The big issue is there are actually large communities of these creatures which is the dangerous part. Even so, the PCs have a high enough point value to make this work. Plus, in my world there is lots of magic and psi which can definitely mess up a vampire.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #32
Canology

I think he meant be careful because Palladium has a reputation for acting vigorously to squash IP infractions...
Old 07-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #33
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canology View Post
I think he meant be careful because Palladium has a reputation for acting vigorously to squash IP infractions...
And for this reason we try to be careful about agitating them on the forums here. SJG doesn't deserve to catch it from Palladium for our own (forum user) homebrew campaigns.

Just mentioning Palladium content isn't infringement - but at the very least it's polite to say when you're cribbing from them ("I use vampires like from RIFTS, because RIFTS had awesome vampires" - polite and flattering!) It's also useful if other people are interested in the idea and want to know where to look for more cool ideas related to that.

Definitely to be careful about a) generic conversion rules ("Here's how to make any RIFTS character into a $GAMESYSTEM character"), or specific conversions ("Here's an XXXX$RIFTS in $GAMESYSTEM") and b) overall "setting book"/web-book repackaging/expanding of content. They don't like that, and they have lawyers.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #34
AlexanderHowl

I generally avoid using any vampires from any other system (if I liked their vampires, I would probably use their system). For example, I would never play Shadowrun 4e vampires in GURPS 4e or oWoD vampires in GURPS 4e because I can use their systems and know their systems well enough to avoid the pitfalls (both types of vampires are also wickedly difficult to represent in GURPS 4e).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote