Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Addictive Abilities

In Powers (p. 104), the writers introduced the idea of Backlash. Characters could transform an Attribute Penalty, Irritant, Incapacitation, or Stunning effect from Affliction into an equivalent value limitation that activate as soon as a character used an ability (halve the value of the limitation if the character was allowed a HT roll to resist). So, a character could take Euphoria, Resisted by HT, -15% or Ecstasy, Resisted by HT, -50%, as limitations for their abilities.

So, do you think that a character would refrain from using an ability that made them euphoric or ecstatic? By the by, such backlashes would be thematically appropriate for chi abilities (meditative euphoria or ecstasy is a commonly reported phenomena for people who practice yoga), divine abilities (many deeply faithful people report similar feelings when they sense the presence of God), magical abilities (euphoria is a commonly reported experience in Neo-pagan magical practices and, IRL, I have personally seen people go into ecstatic trances during Neo-pagan rituals), and psionic abilities (once again, euphoria is a commonly reported experience among psychics and, IRL, I have personally seen people go into ecstatic trances after they claim to used used their abilities). I am sure there would be similar justifications for nature, spirit, etc.

Would you allow someone to have Euphoria or Ecstasy for a Backlash? Do you think that the characters would become addicted to using their abilities and how would you represent it? Is it necessarily a bad thing for a character to be addicted to using abilities that do not cause harm?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #2
somecallmetim

Default Re: Addictive Abilities

Thaumatology suggests Addiction to Magic should be a quirk, at most. I think the same would apply for most other abilities, unless they were especially destructive.

Supers has a generalized version of Pyromania for other elements, where you have to make a self control roll to resist a chance to unleash the element in question, or appreciate it in action. It's [-5], which seems about right if the ability is dangerous or destructive.
somecallmetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Addictive Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Would you allow someone to have Euphoria or Ecstasy for a Backlash? Do you think that the characters would become addicted to using their abilities and how would you represent it? Is it necessarily a bad thing for a character to be addicted to using abilities that do not cause harm?
1 - As long as it brought appropriate penalties, yes. (no I'm not checking, I'll just take as granted Euphoria and Ecstasy have penalties of sufficient applicability)

2 - Maybe. If addiction is a key (or ancillary) thematic element of the game. Otherwise... no.

# - Only if it impairs them from whatever the PCs think are necessary 'to do' actions. If it doesn't impair them... the penalties might not be appropriately tuned.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote