Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
A Ladder

Default Introducing Hirelings

I will be running a DF gurps game for my friends soon but have a question about how you guys introduce the concept of hirelings to new roleplayers.
A few of the players have limited Other Game experience but most of them are brand new to the idea of roleplaying in general. However I have never played with hirelings before in any game I've been in.My gaming groups always had 5 or more players so we never needed to hire anyone as all the roles got filled. So I have no idea how to go about this.

I want a healbot cleric to be available to the group if no one wants to play a healer and maybe drop a few hints that the dungeon has really poor lighting so they might want to pick up a torch bearer.

-What’s the best way to introduce the idea of hirelings to new players? Or, how do you guys go about doing it?
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Introducing Hirelings

You could simply suggest it directly. Point out that there may potential gaps in their abilities and note that they could hire people to fill them in. If they want to pursue the idea, then they can.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
-What’s the best way to introduce the idea of hirelings to new players? Or, how do you guys go about doing it?
"You have money. You need things done, that you don't want to do yourselves. Hire someone to do the boring-but-necessary bits for you?", with an unspoken implication of "... because I'm going to start making you suffer for not making certain those things are being handled."

Alternatively, "You've picked up a follower. Name of Bob, Bob Torch-Holder. He thinks you're rather awesome and has taken to following you around. Poor sap. Might want to take care of him o' heroes; looks bad to have a starving teen following you around when you're dripping with cash. Someone might get, ah ... 'ideas'."
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
mlangsdorf

I gave my players a price list for available hirings and an explicit promise that if they didn't try to bring the non-dungeoneering hirelings into the dungeon, I wouldn't kill the hirelings outside of the dungeon.

Something like, "if you hire a guard to watch your camp while you're in the dungeon, I won't have some wandering bandits come and pillage it. If you don't, well, you can take your chances and it's pretty low risk, really." Even if they decide not to hire the guard, they've had to have the discussion about hirelings anyway.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
A Ladder

Thanks a bunch guys! All these ideas are really helpful.
A Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Ladder View Post
I will be running a DF gurps game for my friends soon but have a question about how you guys introduce the concept of hirelings to new roleplayers.

- tell them they can hire additional help, both bargain henchmen and potentially useful sidekicks-for-pay.

- give them the prices for doing so.

- give them reasons to do so. If they want to carry their own torches or continual light sources, walk around at medium or heavy encumbrance because their carry their own gear into combat, or watch their own flanks, let them. But tell them they can offload this task.

- deal with the hirelings fairly - don't make them all doppelgangers or instant auto-kills for monsters, or they're a waste.

- have hirelings offer their services. Make up a few of them and have them show up at the tavern and say "I'll come with you and help if you pay me $30 for the day" and maybe they'll say yes. If they don't, hireling goes back in the pile in case they change their mind. Some players will say yes because they think it's a hint.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

If you've got pre-gen Hirelings lurking about the Town, you could give the appearance that they're going on off-screen adventures with other parties in other dungeons if the PCs aren't hiring them (and/or show some of them starving and/or just camping out at the tavern with a tab like Norm and deriving most of their nutrition from ale depending on their competence and tone of the campaign)... one session Random Torchbearer #4 is a fresh-faced, eager kid... a few weeks later, he's got an awesome scar and a thousand-yard stare.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Dustin

On this subject, is there a list of DF-friendly basic hirelings (linkboy, teamster, guard, porter, etc) and their costs anywhere? Looked around a bit last night and couldn't come up with one. Finding them in a Job Table somewhere and working from that is doable, of course, but if someone's already done the work...
Old 04-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
On this subject, is there a list of DF-friendly basic hirelings (linkboy, teamster, guard, porter, etc) and their costs anywhere? Looked around a bit last night and couldn't come up with one. Finding them in a Job Table somewhere and working from that is doable, of course, but if someone's already done the work...
Pretty sure there's a supplement with character write-ups.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
DF15 perhaps?

Tags
dungeon fantasy, henchmen