Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #41
schoon

Default Re: Painting minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Floating a decal onto a curved surface is not as easy as onto a flat one but it is doable with patience and a steady hand.
Highly suggest painting the surface with some gloss varnish and also using MicroSol or some other decal softening liquid to allow the decal to conform better.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #42
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
Yeah, kitbashing was my fallback. I was hoping that some of the more experienced modders had a goto for "sprue full of car guns" or something similar.
I suspect this is where "the aftermarket" will enter into play.... :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:08 PM   #43
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I suspect this is where "the aftermarket" will enter into play.... :)
It might be time that I dust off my 3D printer. I'm sure there are a few guns out there somewhere I can print.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:32 PM   #44
RogerBW

Quote:
It might be time that I dust off my 3D printer. I'm sure there are a few guns out there somewhere I can print.
Careful where you say that out of context. :)

If you have a look on Thingiverse there's already a substantial array of add-on weapons for that Certain Other Car Combat Game which I'd think you ought to be able to scale and use for CW; searching for {gaslands weapons} will give you a good start.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #45
JimTullis

There has been a lot of discussion of kit bashing add on weapons, which will be great for folks who want to use toy cars on the bases, but the SJG minis are already too busy in most cases. I'm hoping that they are amenable to dremeling.

I was really hoping that the weapons would be modular, but the powers that be wanted play right out of the box.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #46
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
There has been a lot of discussion of kit bashing add on weapons, which will be great for folks who want to use toy cars on the bases, but the SJG minis are already too busy in most cases.
I was leaning a bit that way myself. There's hardly space on most of the later minis to bolt anything further on. I too was thinking kitbashing would probably be more suited for toy cars than the CW minis.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #47
beetle496

I see that others have said something similar, but I want to add my two bits…
Quote:
Do any of you have suggestions of where to get bits to attach to the vehicles such as guns, engines, etc?
This thread has been about painting 6e miniatures, which do not need more guns! There are other threads about modding HotWheels™ to work for CW.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #48
beetle496

A.C. Moore is closing, if you happen to have one of their stores near you. I picked up a bunch of metallic spray paints, which is not what I had been planning for, but should look pretty good for the CW 6e miniatures!

Anyone know if an ink-wash over metallic spray looks good? If not, what I can I do to bring out details?

The other product I had read about discussed here is sticky-back foam and felt sheets for building roads and scenery. I am not in any hurry to try that though. I will wait until I see how the 6e Road Tiles work out.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #49
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
A.C. Moore is closing, if you happen to have one of their stores near you. I picked up a bunch of metallic spray paints, which is not what I had been planning for, but should look pretty good for the CW 6e miniatures!

Anyone know if an ink-wash over metallic spray looks good? If not, what I can I do to bring out details?

The other product I had read about discussed here is sticky-back foam and felt sheets for building roads and scenery. I am not in any hurry to try that though. I will wait until I see how the 6e Road Tiles work out.
I've had so-so results using ink on top of metallic paint. For miniatures I generally drybrush metallic. I don't think that I'd spray paint them metal though.

The problem with a metallic spray paint is that the recesses will end up the same color as everything else, whereas you usually really only want the metal effect on the highlights.

It works out okay for things where you don't care a lot about the fine details - I've used it to paint Twilight Imperium game pieces and terrain bits for 40K, not to mention stuff I use to top trophies. So it would still be good for things like metal barriers and floors, for example.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #50
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
The problem with a metallic spray paint is that the recesses will end up the same color as everything else, whereas you usually really only want the metal effect on the highlights.
Yeah, I think the paint is really meant for 1:24 scale models and the like. I went a bit overboard. :-(