Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #1211
JMason

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
You're moving the goalposts, though.

<snip>
Point taken. I was just trying to say that the Film Reroll comes close to filling the desire that trooper6 (and others previously) have for an actual play series that would increase GURPS exposure, but lacks a few key things needed to actually do that. I personally find that a bit disappointing as a missed opportunity.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #1212
Magesmiley

Quote:
Launch and bring to a successful close the Kickstarter project for the new edition of Car Wars, with the game set for release to project backers in 2019 or 2020.
I was a bit curious if there was going to be any additional information or updates planned for the near future in regards to this particular item from the 2018 priorities. It's been awhile since the community has received anything new on the upcoming edition of Car Wars.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #1213
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magesmiley View Post
I was a bit curious if there was going to be any additional information or updates planned for the near future in regards to this particular item from the 2018 priorities. It's been awhile since the community has received anything new on the upcoming edition of Car Wars.
As always, when we have news about it, we'll share it, but currently it's still in development.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1214
Kalzazz

How is the Discworld RPG doing? I didn't see it mentioned
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #1215
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
How is the Discworld RPG doing? I didn't see it mentioned
It made the top 40. I think 34?
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #1216
Bengt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmunoz View Post
It does surprisingly well in podcast form (The Film Reroll), when it's run by improv actors. And the conceit of that podcast amplifies the advantages of GURPS.
This sounded entertaining, and it was. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
The Film Reroll is amazing, but has a couple of drawbacks. First, they seem adverse to mentioning that they are playing GURPS. I don't know why this is, but I don't think I every recall them mentioning the game system and only found out about it when I found one of the character sheets they had posted. This is despite me often searching specifically for GURPS content podcasts.
Having binged since I saw these posts, they do mention it in passing on occasion.
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #1217
kmunoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
This sounded entertaining, and it was. Thank you.
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Having binged since I saw these posts, they do mention it in passing on occasion.
They've even started posting the character sheets to their website. So even though the podcast itself doesn't put a lampshade on the system, it's not completely invisible. And at least some fragment of their listeners are interested in digging deeper into how they implement GURPS.
kmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #1218
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Which very important information to disseminate. The current market for GURPS supports art-light B&W PDFs, mostly on the short side . . . and GURPS is alive and well in that form.

Everybody has the right to their preferences: hardback, softback, or PDF; color or B&W; art-heavy or art-light; 256 pages, 128 pages, 64 pages, or shorter; and so on. However, "GURPS done according to the precise preferences I enjoy" is a subset of "GURPS." From the perspective of someone whose entire income has depended on GURPS for 23 years, it's distressing when the failure to meet specific preferences is spoken of as death. That leads to the sort of rumor that can put a guy out of a job.

That is a grossly unfair response. Phil Reed said the following in the last two StakeHolders Reports :(1) DF took way longer than it should have taken, leading to cost overruns (2) DF was a failure.

I bought the DF RP game as an old GURPS player. Phil Reed tells me that the game was not managed well and is now dead, right out of the gate. I had thought that the DF RPG was an accessible reboot of GURPS. So my money was not well spent.

A clarifying post from Mr. Reed would be nice, instead of attacks against anyone who, logically, thinks the GURPS line is "dead".

nudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #1219
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudj View Post
A clarifying post from Mr. Reed would be nice, instead of attacks against anyone who, logically, thinks the GURPS line is "dead".
Sean's post was excellent. He in no way attacked anyone; Sean merely stated facts and was more open with everyone than many may be used to. One thing we always try to do: Be as transparent as possible and provide as much information as we can. Sean did exactly that.

Two quotes from the report that are applicable here:

"The current market doesn't leave room for a game like this to succeed . . . "

"The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game shipped late, yes, but the final package was a successful GURPS introductory boxed set loaded with lots of great gaming potential."

http://www.sjgames.com/general/stakeholders/

If today's game market wasn't in the shape that it is, we would have been in a position to take a greater risk and we would have gone with our original planned print run. Unfortunately, the realities of the market is that games either blow out the door and become hits on Day One . . . or they quickly fade and vanish.

Last edited by philreed; 03-18-2018 at 06:37 PM.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:15 PM   #1220
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudj View Post

That is a grossly unfair response.

I am sorry that you found my reply unfair. It was not, however, an attack. It was a statement of fact:
  • The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, while based on GURPS, isn't GURPS . . . it's the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. Its success or failure shouldn't be taken as GURPS' success or failure.

• What sells profitably, what sells unprofitably, and what doesn't sell at all isn't knowable so much as discoverable. I was sharing our latest discoveries.

• What we've discovered that would affect GURPS is that a specific format isn't particularly viable right now. That format is inherently prone to the sorts of things that made the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game costly, and would probably have the same problems if used for GURPS.
My comment that people have the right to a choice is the opposite of an attack – it's an endorsement! I'm all for respecting others' choices. It's just that we can't always deliver those.

And as I confessed, I have a vested personal interest in making sure "we can't deliver choice X for GURPS" isn't read as "we can't deliver GURPS," as the latter leads to rumors that could actually end my livelihood.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote