Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2024, 03:26 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Dr. Elizabeth Dehner (Star Trek) in GURPS terms, 2262

Okay,
In this thread I will post step-by-step how I am translating Dr Dehner into GURPS terms for my campaign.
Still don't know if my players will choose her.

In real life the actress who played her - Sally Kellerman was born in 1937 and was 28 when she played the character. So, that means Dr. Elezabeth Dehner was born on June 2, 2237 and in the 2262 of my my game setting she would 25 years old.

Huh, okay then I'll ay that she entered Starfleet Academy at age 16 and graduated at age 20. After that she went to Medical Branch school for 3.5 years, then a 6 month cadet cruise - that puts her at 24 years old.
Alright, then she probably had a one year assignment or tour of duty on a ship or at a starbase before becoming available to serve on my group's ship.

Sally Kellerman or Dr. Dehner has a height of 5',10" - so estimate her GURPS Strength is an 11.
Maybe this will work:

ST: 11
DX: 12
IQ: 12
HT: 11

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Dr. Elizabeth Dehner (Star Trek) in GURPS terms, 2262

ST 11 makes her equal to a slightly above average man. Are you going by the common gaming convention that women and men have the same ranges of ST scores, rather than assuming that women have significantly less muscle mass and muscular energy output?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:35 PM   #3
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

NEXT STEP:

I open the GCA program and choose Tech Level 12 for the character and 212 points as her point total.

Then the attribute totals I chose before (ST=11, DX =12, IQ=12, HT=11)

Next I choose from the templates "Star Fleet Academy (Prime Directive) "

Okay, these are my usual default choices - for Native Language my NPCs and player characters all get "FEDERATION Standard", for native Cultural Familiarity they all get " FEDERATION Worlds, UFP "

When going through the Academy choice I choose 'Survivial (arctic)' for her survival training skill, remembering the joke that Gary Mitchell said about her.
For the Engineering and Mechanic skills I chose 'Auxiliary systems' - figuring that overlaps medical equipment or systems.

- Ed C.

Old 03-19-2024, 03:49 PM   #4
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
ST 11 makes her equal to a slightly above average man.
Are you going by the common gaming convention that women and men have the same ranges of ST scores, rather than assuming that women have significantly less muscle mass and muscular energy output?
Well, the actress in real life was taller than the average woman. The old 3rd edition GURPS guidelines suggested that higher strength numbers meant taller people.
Also have you seen "Strange New Worlds"? The character of Una ('Number One') is fairly tall, and they have shown the other women starfleet characters as 'strong' or pretty darn good shape.

Must be all that Starfleet training...
- Ed C.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:23 PM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Well, the actress in real life was taller than the average woman. The old 3rd edition GURPS guidelines suggested that higher strength numbers meant taller people.
Also have you seen "Strange New Worlds"? The character of Una ('Number One') is fairly tall, and they have shown the other women starfleet characters as 'strong' or pretty darn good shape.

Must be all that Starfleet training...
- Ed C.
I would tend to assume that Star Fleet personnel at that point in history are more physically fit than the standard 'average human' in GURPS, so Dr. Dehner having ST 11 makes sense to me. I'd also suggest the Fit advantage for many or most SF personnel, but it's been long enough since I saw the episode that I'm not sure if that works for her.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:30 PM   #6
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
..... more physically fit than the standard 'average human' in GURPS, so Dr. Dehner having ST 11 makes sense to me. I'd also suggest the Fit advantage for many or most SF personnel, but it's been long enough since I saw the episode that I'm not sure if that works for her.
if you use the GCA the 'Fit' Advantage is automatic for all Starfleet Academy graduates.

Try it sometime - its fun!.

- Ed C.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:31 PM   #7
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Okay,
In this thread I will post step-by-step how I am translating Dr Dehner into GURPS terms for my campaign.
Still don't know if my players will choose her.

In real life the actress who played her - Sally Kellerman was born in 1937 and was 28 when she played the character. So, that means Dr. Elezabeth Dehner was born on June 2, 2237 and in the 2262 of my my game setting she would 25 years old.
Why? Why not set her birth date in 2234 and let her be the same age as her actress? That would also give a little more time for her to become a highly qualified medical professional, too.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:56 AM   #8
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Why? Why not set her birth date in 2234 and let her be the same age as her actress? That would also give a little more time for her to become a highly qualified medical professional, too.
I think he's going for her age in the Original Series being the same as the actress, and his game is a few years before the Enterprise's historic five-year mission from ST:TOS. Basically, Pike is in command of the Enterprise at the present time in his game, not Kirk. So it would technically be the actress's age, if his game was on television in the right time frame.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:15 AM   #9
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Oy!
If you look up the Kellerman's real birth year it is 1937, or '2237'. Since TOS takes place 2265 to 2270, then "Where No Man Has Gone Before" takes place in 2265. My campaign is currently set 3 years earlier than that in 2262.

- Ed C.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:34 PM   #10
Pursuivant

Quote:
Huh, okay then I'll ay that she entered Starfleet Academy at age 16 and graduated at age 20. After that she went to Medical Branch school for 3.5 years, then a 6 month cadet cruise - that puts her at 24 years old.
Alternately, Starfleet offers a 5-year "freshman to physician" track like some modern universities. She then did a 1-year accelerated residency in psychiatry, which might make her a year or so younger.

I'm not sure what template you're using for Starfleet officers, but to create her on less than 200 points with basic psi powers you might need to scrimp on skills in points, such as the bare minimum qualifications with things like Beam Weapons, Leadership and Piloting.

Quote:
Alright, then she probably had a one year assignment or tour of duty on a ship or at a starbase before becoming available to serve on my group's ship.
Which makes her an experienced Ensign or newly-minted LTJG. Nominal Rank 3-4, but actual Rank based on command authority of Rank 1-2. Model the difference with levels of Courtesy Rank.

Quote:
Sally Kellerman or Dr. Dehner has a height of 5',10" - so estimate her GURPS Strength is an 11.
Or ST 10 and Fit, which saves 5 points or Fit + Lifting ST +1 which saves 2 points.

Quote:
ST: 11
DX: 12
IQ: 12
HT: 11
Effectively, minimum stats for a human SFA grad. Seems fine.

Minimum advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: Beautiful [12]; Fit [5]; Rank 1 [5]; Unusual Background (Latent Psi Powers) [5]

Maybe drop Beautiful to Attractive for an 8 point savings.

Perks: Courtesy Rank 2 [2].

Disadvantages: Duty (Starfleet, 15-) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Shipmates) [-5].

Quirks: Curious about psi powers [-1]; Reserved [-1];
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote