Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Jovus

Default Re: [OOC] Dungeon Fantasy -- Gorefest Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
All that aside, we're short a healer.
I took Minor Heal for just that reason; it's a spell I can get as a wizard (because of the necromantic pre-requisites), and while it's not as good as Major Heal or Faith Healing, I'll take what I can get, no?

As to templates, I realize that for twinking out I should have gone with a different template but a) we were told not to over-optimize, b) I wanted to remain near the same power level as the rest of the party, and c) a Dark One's what I wanted to play. That, or a Corpse Eater, what with the necromancy schtick.

All that said, if people want I can peel the template back off again; I'm not married to the idea.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #22
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
All that aside, we're short a healer.

So unless Stripe will let the bard, wizard, or wizard-thief take healing spells we may not last very long anyways...
Is there some sort of restriction there? If so I hope my mage thief didn't break any of those rules: all the spells should have merely apportation as a prereq, be energy recovery, or on the way to invisibility and body of shadow.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Jovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Is there some sort of restriction there? If so I hope my mage thief didn't break any of those rules: all the spells should have merely apportation as a prereq, be energy recovery, or on the way to invisibility and body of shadow.
You should be good with those spells; generally the restriction is that wizards and their kin may not take spells that Clerics and Druids can have, unless there is no other pre-requisite path to a spell that would otherwise be valid. Clerics and Druids are restricted in their spell choices to lists written out in the Dungeon Fantasy PDFs.
Jovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #24
Stix4armz

Quote:
The general rule is that the Healing college belongs to Clerics, the Animal, Plant, and Weather colleges belong to Druids, and Wizards can only have spells from those four colleges if they are prerequisites for spells in other colleges.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #25
ErhnamDJ

Wizard can get Minor Healing and the next one up from that if he gets them as prerequisites for Necromantic spells, which it looks like our wizard already has. I recommend grabbing those.

Edit:

Leprechaun has a number of options. You could go with that and pick some up.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #26
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDJ View Post
I don't think it's fair that the wizard player gets a template for free,
This isn't a competition. Does it make the game somehow less fun for you? If so, take a free racial template. :)

There's a chance in any game that PC death can happen, so a spread of 20 points or so is no biggie.

Quote:
Is there some sort of restriction there?
DF is big on "niche protection." Each template fills a certain specific niche and there is as little overlap as possible. As Stix said, healing is a cleric thing, mainly. But, it's no big deal. Just have fun. :)

Anyway, I'll post the first room and stuff here in a bit, maybe a few hours or so. I'm making the rooms up as I go.

Thanks again, everyone, for participation. I look forward to having a little DF fun! :)
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
This isn't a competition. Does it make the game somehow less fun for you? If so, take a free racial template. :)
I did! I added human to my sheet. :) And I changed a few things around. I'm guessing the concertina uses the accordion skill.

I don't want anyone to think I got my feathers ruffled. It really doesn't bother me very much, but I do like to point out when I see something that might cause issues. I do find it slightly amusing.

How are you handling rapier wit?

My blog.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Stripe

^Good to hear.

Not sure what you're seeking as I've never had a player take Rapier Wit before. I seem to recall it stuns enemies, right? Will vs. skill or something like that. No books right now.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Not sure what you're seeking as I've never had a player take Rapier Wit before. I seem to recall it stuns enemies, right? Will vs. skill or something like that. No books right now.
It's a free action to roll a contest of Public Speaking vs Will to mentally stun. It's incredibly overpowered if you allow it to be used as it's written. Most people limit it in some way, such as once per target per combat or something like that. Otherwise you just do it every single turn and hope you get lucky since there's no cost to it.

My blog.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #30
Stripe

Okay. Stopped making the dungeon to look this up.

Everyone targeted within earshot has to win this contest every round or be mentally stunned? ("Round" meaning on each of your turns.) Wow. That is powerful. That's like a stunning Innate Attack like that of a banshee's wail, except it's a free action even, for only 5 points and however much spent on the skill.

Not only will making multiple extra rolls every round of combat annoy the hell out of me, it's entirely based on role playing with modifiers to be set by GM fiat on a case-by-case basis for each and every use. That could be very time consuming in a play-by-post environment.

You're suggesting it be usable once per combat per target? Sounds fine with me.