Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Allowing Technique Mastery with Dual-Weapon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Let's see if I got this, what Technique Mastery does is allowing a new Skill Level cap. Is that right?
Wow, blast from the past! But yes, that's basically correct. You can only take it for techniques that have a maximum level of "[Skill]" or "[Skill+X]", nothing that maxes out at "[Skill-X]", and it increases the maximum to [Skill+4] if it was [Skill] before, or "[Skill+X+2]". So, for example, Kicking normally has a maximum of Karate-0. If you take Technique Mastery (Karate Kicking), your new maximum is Karate+4. Arm Lock, on the other hand, has a normal maximum of Judo+4, so with Technique Mastery (Judo Arm Lock), the maximum would increase to Judo+6. You couldn't take Technique Mastery (Ear Clap) at all, because its maximum is skill-1.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
Kalzazz

Kelly, what did you finally end up ruling on TM with DWA?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Kelly, what did you finally end up ruling on TM with DWA?
That's a few years ago now. I think I disallowed it, more for realism reasons than balance - I just couldn't make the idea of being better when wielding two weapons, especially two different weapons, than you were when wielding only one of those weapons, make sense.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #24
Hide

Hahaha, I had to ask. I almost considered TM gave a +4 to any roll involving the designated skills.

∠( ᐛ 」∠)_

Thank you!
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #25
trooper6

I'd note that really, because DWA is a Cinematic Technique, you shouldn't be able to take the Technique let alone the TM unless you also have Trained by a Master...which means we are already in a Cinematic space...which means "realistic" is not really relevant in that situation.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #26
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I'd note that really, because DWA is a Cinematic Technique, you shouldn't be able to take the Technique let alone the TM unless you also have Trained by a Master...which means we are already in a Cinematic space...which means "realistic" is not really relevant in that situation.
Perhaps, but there's still "believable" to consider, even when cinematic techniques are on the table. And I still have a hard time buying "I'm actually better at fighting with two weapons than I am with either one on its own!".
Old 01-12-2018, 07:46 PM   #27
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Perhaps, but there's still "believable" to consider, even when cinematic techniques are on the table. And I still have a hard time buying "I'm actually better at fighting with two weapons than I am with either one on its own!".
Having played a Dual Wielding Rapier fighter in an Arena game, I didn't find it to be a problem.

Having done both Rapier Case and Single Rapier in the SCA, I have seen people who are better fighting with two weapons than when one on its own. I knew one or two people who almost exclusively fought case and were really used to that. And they were very good. And then when they ended being in a match where it was only single rapier...they were thrown off and they sorts of moves they had concentrated on they couldn't do and they would find themselves losing to people who weren't as good as them but who were more comfortable with single blade.

Also, DWA has drawbacks that balance out in the long run.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #28
AlexanderHowl

No, I have to say that I am skeptical about that one. I was associated with the SCA for ten years down in NC and never met anyone who fought with more skill with two weapons than one. They might have trained themselves to be more effective, two attacks can be better than one, but that does not mean that they were more skillful. My fiancee also spent 15 years learning classical fencing under some of the most skilled instructors in the USA, including dual weapon techniques with rapier, smallsword, and saber, and she pretty much agrees that they are just flashy because she can beat any dual weapon fighter with just one weapon.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #29
trooper6

Alexander, remember that the technique is cinematic. If you are not running a cinematic campaign and the PC doesn’t have Trained by a Master, then none of the PCs can take the technique at all let alone Technique Mastery. If you are running using the realistic switches, then this won’t come up.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:10 AM   #30
AlexanderHowl

It is not about being cinematic, you have plenty of people in martial arts (and SCA) learning and improving cinematic techniques (which are fine in demonstrations or tournaments but would get you killed in real life combat), it is about being plausible. An archer who can shot two arrows at once, against two different targets, more skillfully than they can one arrow against one target is not only implausible, it is Looney Tunes level of silly. The same applies to any form of dual weapon combat, and that level of silliness does not fit without most GURPS campaigns.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote