Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Allowing Technique Mastery with Dual-Weapon Attack

Well, I'm in a DF game, and I allowed characters to purchase 1 combat perk per 10 points spent in combat abilities (as said in Martial Arts for those without styles) and 1 Magical perk per 20 points spent in spells. It provides a nice incentive to spend points in skills or spells, instead of boosting attributes obscenely.

I might object to the Swashbuckler purchasing Technique Mastery (DWA/Rapier), but then, if I allowed, I would state that it only works when the character has two rapiers, and proceed to disarm him of one of them.

Another way of limiting technique mastery, would be to say that it increases the cap by +2, instead of +4, but you can purchase it a second time, when the old TM would allow you to purchase a full +4. It increases the cost of getting DWA at skill+4 by 1 point (nearly no difference), but it also requires 40 points in weapon skills to be spent (Big difference) and makes you a one trick pony (you could have gotten two other combat perks instead)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
There are some Styles that have TM as a style perk. Capoeira and Chin Na, for example.
Capoeira has TM (Kicking). Chin Na has TM (Finger Lock). I was referring to TM (DWA).

Quote:
I just think if a GM doesn't want TM to exist, it would be more up front just to say so.
TM(DWA) is problematic; as indicated in my first post in the thread I'm generally inclined to disallow it generally, but I might be convinced that, particularly in a style that does not also include another TM perk that could be abusively stacked with it, it makes sense in a particular style.

I don't think TM in general is problematic, but since the perk specifically requires that it be applied to a technique on the list for the style, I wouldn't allow it to be taken as a general combat perk. I definitely wouldn't want TM not to exist, but I do want it to be limited to specific specialties that come with styles (which need not be published styles, of course, but they need to be styles -- in games that I'm running -- that I think make some kind of in-setting sense.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
There are some Styles that have TM as a style perk. Capoeira and Chin Na, for example.

I just think if a GM doesn't want TM to exist, it would be more up front just to say so.
Current styles that teach technique mastery in MA (I can not say about Gladiators or Fairbarn, asn I only have the main MA book)

Capoeira: Technique Mastery (Kicking).
Chin Na: Technique Mastery (Arm Lock) and Technique Mastery (Finger Lock).
Judo: Technique Mastery (Judo Throw) and Technique Mastery(Sacrificial Throw).
Muay Thai: Technique Mastery (Knee Strike)
Savate: Technique mastery (Kicking)
Shaolin Kung Fu: Technique Mastery (Any kicking technique)
Tae Kwon Do: Technique Mastery (Any kicking technique)
Wushu: Technique Mastery (Any spinning attack)

As you see, the most "abusive" combination is Technique Mastery/kicking, and then since kicking isn't the base of other kicking techniques (as it was in 3rd ed) it isn't really bothersome. Spinning attacks are also a very useful technique to put technique master in, as they combine a feint and a strike, and not winning the feint actually penalizes the attacker, by increasing the defense.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
Carlos

Is Technique Mastery allowed to techniques like Counterattack, Exotic Hand Strike, Uppercut and Ground Fighting?

To me, some Technique Mastery seems to be too abusive. For example, someone with Ancient Greek Boxing (MA 153) that have Exotic Hand Strike (thanks to Skill adaptation) and wants to buy Technique Mastery (Exotic Hand Strike) in order to have Boxing+4 to hit punches.

Last edited by Carlos; 07-16-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
Carlos

Any suggestion?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Any suggestion?
Make them specific to individual styles which specialize in one of them.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
It's strange. In thesis, you can have Technique Mastery (Exotic Hand Strike) [1] but you can't have Technique Mastery (Boxing or Karate Punch) [1]

And even if there's no style with such techniques, it's possible to buy them as general combat perks.

And Technique Mastery (Counterattack) seems to be very bizarre. But it's not forbidden RAW.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Even then Technique Mastery (Counter Attack) or particularly Technique Mastery (Ground Fighting) seems problematic.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #19
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Is Technique Mastery allowed to techniques like Counterattack, Exotic Hand Strike, Uppercut and Ground Fighting?

To me, some Technique Mastery seems to be too abusive. For example, someone with Ancient Greek Boxing (MA 153) that have Exotic Hand Strike (thanks to Skill adaptation) and wants to buy Technique Mastery (Exotic Hand Strike) in order to have Boxing+4 to hit punches.
You can without a doubt use technique mastery on Counterattack and Ground Fighting. This isn't abusive because, with Counterattack, it only kicks in when you are counterattacking (and let me tell you as person playing an arena fighter with counterattack, it didn't come up all that often...highly situational) and with Ground Fighting, you are on the ground.

One of the prohibitions of TM is that it can't be used for the primary function of your skill (Punching for Boxing, Grappling for Judo, etc).

So you have to ask yourself if you you think Exotic Hand Strike and/or Uppercut is basically just a Punch. If you think it is basically a punch, then say no to TM for those two.

Exotic Hand Strike has some pretty serious drawbacks...and quite a few reasons when you wouldn't want to use it...I don't know if it would be all that abusive to allow it. Uppercut...just feels like a punch...and that seems like it would be prohibited by the TM restrictions. But that seems to be up to the GM.

The only think I think is really abusive is Low Fighting counting for Crouching. That I'd change. I'd have Low Fighting only count for Sitting and Kneeling but not Crouching.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #20
Hide

Let's see if I got this, what Technique Mastery does is allowing a new Skill Level cap. Is that right?

- Hide
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote