Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #281
JLV

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPumpkin View Post
I do wonder about the niche overlap between a new TFT and Dungeon Fantasy. Particularly in terms of potential new supplements like dungeons, minis or even setting material, the systems occupy a similar space.
I would personally think that it would not be an issue -- why not simply dual stat everything? So you develop a dungeon-crawl, just put in both TFT and GURPS stats for everything. That way if you want more crunch, you go GURPS, if you want faster play, you go TFT...

Frankly, the way I convert the stats for GURPS to TFT is to simply take the DX and IQ as given, and to average the HT and ST to give me the TFT ST equivalent. It might not be perfect, but it seems to give me results that are pretty close to the old TFT stats. Now converting spells and skills (to say nothing of advantages and disadvantages) gets a good deal more complex, but is still not impossible with careful reading and comparison between the two systems.

(Mind you, this is just my personal feeling on the issue!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #282
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I would personally think that it would not be an issue -- why not simply dual stat everything?
For what it's worth, I did this on Lost Hall of Tyr. The more-complex 5e got the full treatment, and the parenthetical aside covered Swords and Wizardry fully.

I know what I'd do for a hypothetical adventure that would dual-stat GURPS and TFT, too. it's not quite what I just said - it'd be prettier and better. A layout option I ran across that's perfect for that sort of thing.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 AM   #283
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Y'all will probably be interested to know that the forum for The Fantasy Trip is now open: http://forums.sjgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #284
pyratejohn

A TFT forum section?!?!
Awesome! Thanks!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #285
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, I did this on Lost Hall of Tyr. The more-complex 5e got the full treatment, and the parenthetical aside covered Swords and Wizardry fully.

I know what I'd do for a hypothetical adventure that would dual-stat GURPS and TFT, too. it's not quite what I just said - it'd be prettier and better. A layout option I ran across that's perfect for that sort of thing.
Please share! ;-)
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #286
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Please share! ;-)
Are you familiar with Symbaroum? It uses a VERY unusual 3-column layout. Two of the columns are wider than the third, by quite a bit. Out of maybe 6.75" of total written page width, with 0.5" of that being column margin, you're left with 6.25" of text.

Two of the columns might have thus been about 2 5/8" wide, the third being about an inch (I'd need to go back and re-measure the hardcopy A4 I bought at GenCon).

[Edit. Here's an example. It's got two wide-text columns, and white space where the third thin column is. Another example shows the thin column in the middle of both pages of a two-page spread. One is italicised aside-text, the other is a graphic of dice.]

The third column is NOT always on the outside like in early GURPS 3e books with sidebars. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's in the middle, sometimes it's on the inside of the page.

That little floating column is perfect for statblocks if the blocks are very terse. No way you could put a 5e or GURPS character block in there, you might be able to with the DFRPG, which is focused enough that "Sword: (18) 1d+3 cut" is enough to give the gist of fodder monsters' attacks, and the four GURPSy stats could just be done as

ST 14
DX 12
IQ 8
HT 11

Sword (18/12) 1d+3 cut
Grapple (13/9)

Anyway, for Swords and Wizardry and other basic DnD stuff, a roughly 1" statblock (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less) column that floated per layout needs would be spiffy (it also does GREAT things for a variety of art placement).

For TFT, even a character like Brett Slocum's Sir Trevor of Cumbria looks like it would fit well into a column.

Were I doing a multi-genre adventure, I might write it using the two main columns for systemless information, with some combinations for full-system statblocks. But mostly, you'd use the little column to throw in details for what you do using the simple systems.

Ever since I saw the big-big-small column concept as implemented in Symbaroum I've wanted to find an excuse to try it out. Moving "basic system" information from parentheticals within the main text into this small-column format seems a good use of that layout.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 01-16-2018 at 12:42 PM.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #287
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Are you familiar with Symbaroum? It uses a VERY unusual 3-column layout. Two of the columns are wider than the third, by quite a bit. Out of maybe 6.75" of total written page width, with 0.5" of that being column margin, you're left with 6.25" of text.

Two of the columns might have thus been about 2 5/8" wide, the third being about an inch (I'd need to go back and re-measure the hardcopy A4 I bought at GenCon).

[Edit. Here's an example. It's got two wide-text columns, and white space where the third thin column is. Another example shows the thin column in the middle of both pages of a two-page spread. One is italicised aside-text, the other is a graphic of dice.]

The third column is NOT always on the outside like in early GURPS 3e books with sidebars. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's in the middle, sometimes it's on the inside of the page.

That little floating column is perfect for statblocks if the blocks are very terse. No way you could put a 5e or GURPS character block in there, you might be able to with the DFRPG, which is focused enough that "Sword: (18) 1d+3 cut" is enough to give the gist of fodder monsters' attacks, and the four GURPSy stats could just be done as

ST 14
DX 12
IQ 8
HT 11

Sword (18/12) 1d+3 cut
Grapple (13/9)

Anyway, for Swords and Wizardry and other basic DnD stuff, a roughly 1" statblock (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less) column that floated per layout needs would be spiffy (it also does GREAT things for a variety of art placement).

For TFT, even a character like Brett Slocum's Sir Trevor of Cumbria looks like it would fit well into a column.

Were I doing a multi-genre adventure, I might write it using the two main columns for systemless information, with some combinations for full-system statblocks. But mostly, you'd use the little column to throw in details for what you do using the simple systems.

Ever since I saw the big-big-small column concept as implemented in Symbaroum I've wanted to find an excuse to try it out. Moving "basic system" information from parentheticals within the main text into this small-column format seems a good use of that layout.
I have Symbaroum in PDF, but I picked it up more for the inspirational art work than anything else, so now I'll have to go back an read it again...

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #288
marctabyanan

Man! The Symbaroum art is freaking phenomenal! I got a lot of my inspiration for corruption from Symbaroum, but the art!
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:01 AM   #289
JLV

Still hoping to hear some ideas on when we can look for something from TFT! Don't forget us all, out here in TFT land! ;-)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:37 PM   #290
HunterS
Marketing Director

Quote:
Still hoping to hear some ideas on when we can look for something from TFT! Don't forget us all, out here in TFT land! ;-)
It's going to take some time. Steve's working on stuff at the moment, but we're not looking at imminent release or anything like that.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote