Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM   #71
gudmo

Default Re: Buried alive - Need Help

The Wizard has Magery level 5
gudmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM   #72
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo View Post
The Wizard has Magery level 5
Ah well that free's up wild talent nicely!
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM   #73
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudmo View Post
So me and my group got ourselves into a bad situation where we are inside a huge cavern and we've basicly shaped our way into the rock floor to escape hundreds of acid (and possibly other types) spiders.

So there we are, Wizard, Cleric, Barbarian and Swashbuckler under 5 ft of stone surviving on create air and trying to plan for our escape.

GM has said the spiders are patient and that there are hundreds of them waiting above. These are Acid Spiders from DF Monsters so they are pretty bad ass.

Any ides are well appreciated.
Sounds like a sort of inverted Starship Troopers situation.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #74
hal

Dumb question:

How do spiders bite stone?

What I'm envisioning here is that the spiders have the ability to SPIT the venom instead of it being a follow up attack. But if they can't bite the stone, how can they inject it with venom?

But then comes the next issue...

How many attacks of venom do these beasties have? In other words, if they bite say, three times - and the last of the venom is delivered, are they essentially spent until their bodies can manufacture more venom?

The good news is, I'll be able to print the spell list and examine the options to see if there are other venues that can be pursued in this case.

By chance, do any of the characters involved have skills to identify traits of the monsters much like naturalist can help determine weak points of creatures?

Next - if these are animal level intelligent based creatures, one has to wonder what their natural prey is (what they fear). Then there is the fun issue of imagining how they respond to heat signatures - such as, might they not confuse heat signatures of a given strength - as food?

Ah well, time to hit the hay, will look at this over the ensuing night to see what comes to mind...

:)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #75
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Dumb question:

With their mouths.

Quote:
But if they can't bite the stone, how can they inject it with venom?
They can bite stone, so moot question.

Quote:
How many attacks of venom do these beasties have?
All of them.

Quote:
Next - if these are animal level intelligent based creatures, one has to wonder what their natural prey is....
Adventurers.

Quote:
(what they fear)
Not much.

Giant Tarantula Hawks (SM+3). Maybe.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #76
LokRobster

I wonder why the spiders aren’t using their stone-melting bites to dissolve the floor of the cavern to make a passage down to where you’re Buried Alive?

What is that sound above your heads? Sounds a little like frying bacon, doesn’t it?
(Starship Troopers inverted indeed!)

Can infravsion see heat signatures through stone? I guess you’d need a different Advantage to do that, though.

I hope your GM ain’t visiting the forums this week ;)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #77
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
Dumb question:

What I'm envisioning here is that the spiders have the ability to SPIT the venom instead of it being a follow up attack. But if they can't bite the stone, how can they inject it with venom?
The way I see it is initially they are not penetrating the stone's surface (in GURPS terms beating it's DR). But instead since it's acid* and not venom and the acid is left on the stone the acid is than weakening the stone enough that eventually it's weak enough for the bite to get into the structure of the stone, and really the reduction of DR down to 3 is not the stone's armoured surface being deleted, but the overall structure being affected.

TBH the DR/HP split in a homogeneous structure is a bit arbitrary here in terms of distinct things, its really just away to model a resistant material in the system!

Ultimately though we are talking about a spider that's got a 7' body, and ST26 it's a bit of a beast!

And it's DF! (ie we start bringing realistic zoology in, this thing collapses under it's own weight and suffocates long before it moults into its final 7' form)

As per my point earlier about liking the dungeon fantasy ecology here, I can can actually see a colony of such spiders doing well in an underground environment as they will (slowly) be able to shape their environment though this method. In fact if we're wondering how this apparently massive and featureless cavern came about, it may well be partly due to the work of a large colony of acid spiders over a long period of time!

*it is a pretty fantasy acid as well!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-09-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #78
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post

I hope your GM ain’t visiting the forums this week ;)
Heh,

I have to say maybe I've been a GM to long but when I checked up the stats of these things due to this thread, my instant unconsciousness response was to quickly picture what their grappling would be like under TG. ST26, SM+2, 4 sets of arms and a nasty bite? It's not pretty!

(I'd have to give them at least some brawling skill first though!)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #79
gudmo

Update

So the session was played last night and we're still alive and back on track in the dungeon.

After waking from our rest the ceiling of our artificial cave was beginning to collapse. The acid spiders where using their acid to dissolve a hole into our chamber.

A large pool of acid leaked through but we used Shape Stone to seal the ceiling again.

While arguing/discussion the Air Vortex, Trap, Tunneling solutions we were unaware that the acid pooled on our floor was dissolving a way down. A few meters to be exact until a slight murmor evolved into a roar and then visually to a underground river with a vicious current.

I cast Breather water on everyone and sunlight into the hole. However the Mage continued to shape more stone and get us into the tunnel just above the raging river. He shaped the slab we were standing on a few dozen meters into the tunnel until something dispelled my sunlight.

At that point it became clear that we weren't talking about just some acid spiders, there was a spellcasting "something" there as well.

I cast Breathe Water on everyone and jumped in. The others grumbled because they had been holding me back on the issue but soon followed.

We came out of the mountain riding the waterfall we entered behind in the beginning. Turns out the underground river was just above the tunnel we used to enter the complex.

So after a rest we went back in and kept our bearings alot better, managed to sneak though the enormous cavern and enter another set of tunnels on the other side.

Well, I won't be recounting any more of the adventure now or in the future but I wanted to thank everyone that contributed for their help.

p.s.
The best solution offered was the seek air one because that would have revealed the river tunnel below immediatly. Air vortex wouldn't have worked since 6lbs max would mean none of our gear would join us and Tunneling through would have been sheer madness in time, mana and because of the issue of the murderous barbarian.
gudmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #80
Tomsdad

cool!

Cheers for letting us know how it ended up

TD