Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Cowrie

Default Waterfowl: Amphibious or Racial Swimming Skill?

I'm statting up a swan maiden character and I honestly cannot decide whether her swan form should have the Amphibious advantage or a few points in Swimming as a racial skill. Furthermore, I can't figure out which would be more appropriate for waterfowl as a whole. And if amphibious is more appropriate, how should it be represented that underwater swimming doesn't come as naturally for most waterfowl? (Diving ducks being an exception.)
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Waterfowl: Amphibious or Racial Swimming Skill?

I would lean towards amphibious. A duck can, for example, stay on the water indefinitely without risk of tiring out and drowning. Moreover, while a dabbling duck is not overly graceful in the water, my impression is that it isn't much more graceful when walking about on dry land.

A creative solution, of which I may not have considered all the implications, would be to give dabbling ducks Walk on Liquid (refluffed as "Float on Liquid") so they can hang out on the surface all day unimpeded, but need to make swimming rolls like anyone else if they want to dive [EDIT: and suffer the usual non-aquatic penalties to skills while doing so].
Old 09-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #3
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
A creative solution, of which I may not have considered all the implications, would be to give dabbling ducks Walk on Liquid (refluffed as "Float on Liquid") so they can hang out on the surface all day unimpeded, but need to make swimming rolls like anyone else if they want to dive [EDIT: and suffer the usual non-aquatic penalties to skills while doing so].
I think this is an excellent solution.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
I think this is an excellent solution.
Personally, I'd aspect it. Walk on liquid is more costly than amphibious, and for good reason. Walk on liquid lets you tap dance on the water. Or you could aspect amphibious to "surface only". either way I'd charge [5].

Actually Amphibious (Surface only -50%) [5] sounds like a good fit.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
jason taylor

Wouldn't swimming be more a skill you add to your normal form whether or not it has appendages for swimming? Humans do not get Tactics just from having a brain, do they?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Wouldn't swimming be more a skill you add to your normal form whether or not it has appendages for swimming? Humans do not get Tactics just from having a brain, do they?
Well...kind of yes, actually. At IQ-6.

It does seem a bit questionable to give racial skills for gross anatomy, though. On the other hand, something like a biomod that gave innate buoyancy control doesn't conveniently map to any Advantage I can think of, but wouldn't be too unreasonable to treat as a Swimming bonus, perhaps with a limitation.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #7
Anthony

I'd generally go for Amphibious, possibly with a limitation if water performance is sub-par.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
No, but we get Walking from having legs. On the other hand, a person with no legs might need a skill to learn to walk on their hands, probably Acrobatics.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
No, but we get Walking from having legs. On the other hand, a person with no legs might need a skill to learn to walk on their hands, probably Acrobatics.
Yes but a human's walking is default(walking 20 miles a day for a whole week would be closer to walking skill). If someone changes to a swan their skills would not be what a humans skills would be if they were equiv to the default skills of a swan. They would be the default skills of a swan.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most modern humans are rather sedentary all things considered, so using our "default" walking isn't really comparable in my opinion.
I'm a lazy nerd, but have no problem walking all day aside from horrible boredom. I'm too oblivious to safely wear headphones outside.
Our species lack of instinctive swimming is odd for a mammal, but not so much for a primate.