Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
UncleBob

Default Return of "Cheat"

If both your hands are full and you cheat an item like, say, the Sword of Khalar Zym that gives you a +3 with one hand or +6 with two hands, what is the bonus for this?
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Return of "Cheat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
If both your hands are full and you cheat an item like, say, the Sword of Khalar Zym that gives you a +3 with one hand or +6 with two hands, what is the bonus for this?
You treat the card as if you were wielding it with 0 hands. For the Sword of Khalar Zym, this would make it +3 (it is only +6 when two-handed).
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
UncleBob

Makes sense. Thank you.

I was flipping through my cards trying to make the highest-powered game-legal character I could come up with using my current cards. The use of this card made a difference between playing it on a cheat card to get +6 vs. +5 from another item. :D

Without one-time use bonuses, I got up to 87+one that gave a bonus based on dice roll, so a minimum of 89. Thought I did pretty well until I read another thread, but then, I only have boosters and promos - these guys had all the expansions (of which I haven't broken down and gotten any yet...)
Old 08-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
SolemnGolem

Another question regarding Cheat.

If you have no Big items, and you Cheat in a Big item that's usable by only one race, does the Cheat eliminate both the race limitation AND the Big size limitation?

In a game last year, one of my players tried to Cheat in a Big item usable by only one race, and we let her. But I warned her that she would not be able to use another Big item, because the cheated item is still Big.

She objected to this ruling and said that the Cheat eliminates all limitations. Her rationale was that if she already had another Big item before attempting to Cheat this item into her pool, the second item's "Big" classification would be ignored.

My counter ruling was that Cheat basically functions to let you bring an item into play without worrying about limitations in playing that item. It does not function as a "pretend this item doesn't exist" card when calculating after-arising items or limitations.

Which ruling is correct?

(In the end my ruling won, because I was the owner of the deck in question, as per Munchkin instruction rules. But this result only came about after a very heated argument which went well beyond the actual rules dispute and included personal attacks - after which I quietly decided I would never play Munchkin with this particular player again.)
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Bampop

She's right. The cheated item is still Big, but you get to ignore all restrictions on the item. Therefore, when she tries to play another Big item, she is still ignoring the restriction on the other one.

I want to get a Cheat card on the Matching Set of Equipment from Munchkin 8 very badly.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Clipper

The easiest rule of thumb to apply here is to see if, after you play the new card, your setup is still valid.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
UncleBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bampop View Post
I want to get a Cheat card on the Matching Set of Equipment from Munchkin 8 very badly.
Sounds like the "Rules are for Losers" card from The Guild Booster would come very much in handy here - acts just like a Cheat card, but can be moved as often as you like. So, you could use it for the entire game and switch it if you get the Matching Set card, instead of having to hold it in your hand and risk letting it go to waste.

*edit* - So, what if you use the Cheat card (or some variant) with The Mysterious Magenta Moat? Usually, when I play a Cheat card, I have it slightly under the item card to show that it's the card being cheat'd. I suppose I could stack it so that the Moat was between the cheat and the item...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
SolemnGolem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
The easiest rule of thumb to apply here is to see if, after you play the new card, your setup is still valid.
How does this help?

In my example above, the cheat was used to bring in a card with a race and a Big limitation.

Afterwards, in the hypothetical, the player would try to play another Big card.

Your rule of thumb does not address whether the Big limitation from the Cheated card still carries over to block the Big limitation from the second card.

Bampop's response, however, does specifically address this - the ruling is that Cheat does in fact lift all restrictions for the attached card, and allows future cards to ignore the attached card's limitations.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
UncleBob

I can't speak for Clipper, but I think he meant that the "Rule of thumb" is, if you ignore the "Cheated" card, is your set-up still valid.

So, if you pretend that the cheated "Big" item isn't in play, is everything else kosher? If so, then you're good.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Bampop

I also think that's what Clipper meant. That's how I usually check it too.
MiB #3282, Palm Bay, FL
Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice, Burn in Hell!, Revolution!, Castellan, Chez Geek, OGRE DE, Chupacabra, Nanuk
mib3282@gmail.com
Bampop is offline   Reply With Quote