Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #1
scahill

Default Evaluate?

Should the bonus gain from taking the Evaluate manuver be put in jeapordy if the character takes damage like with aim?
scahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Gudiomen

Default Re: Evaluate?

I'd say no, it's a crummy maneuver as it is, any more penalization would make it useless. Specially in the light of Deceptive Attack (better chance to actually land a blow, one try every second) and Telegraphic Attack (bigger bonus, one try every second). From the strictly statistical sense, Evaluate is never worth it. Even if you give +1 defense from the target your evaluation, I'm still not convinced it's worthwhile.

Besides, shock already accounts for reducing the gains of Evaluate, unless you take an extra second to recover.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Tai

Actually, I think Evaluate would be a good move to make while taking a Step back after being hurt - you shake off the Shock penalty, force your opponent to step in closer to you to attack, meaning they can't back out of range, you don't sacrifice defenses, and you get a bonus to your next attack - which could be a Deceptive Attack or Telegraphic Attack, if you wanted more bang for your buck.

Certainly not a move I'd use without a decent defense, though.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #4
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai
and you get a bonus to your next attack - which could be a Deceptive Attack or Telegraphic Attack, if you wanted more bang for your buck.
Telegraphic Attack and Evaluate are non-cumulative.
And in this situation a Deffensive Attack might be a better option... it increases your defenses, allows you to step back AND might damage your oponent.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote