Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
skruddgemire

Default Car Wars Classic vs the old Car Wars Compendium.

I've been looking over the Car Wars Classic box set and comparing it to my old Car Wars Compendium.

From what I've skimmed...the rules are the same in the new as they are in the old.

Are they the same meaning that the things that Compendium adds are still compatible with new Car Wars Classic?
skruddgemire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Racer

Default Re: Car Wars Classic vs the old Car Wars Compendium.

The 5 Phase vs 10 Phase movement chart is different - as is the advanced maneuvering system . The original very basic maneuvers presented in 1981 Classic & 1985 Deluxe aren't really compatible with those from ADQ 6/3 & 2nd Edition of Compendium onwards .

Construction , Weapons , Accessories , variety of Vehicles , Character Skills , Targeting modifiers , etc etc all massively expanded .

The small box Carwars from around 1990 incorporates some of the changes , but misses others - from memory Steelbelted Tires are included , but Power Plant modifications like Super Conductors & Platinum Catalysts are not ? I'll have to really dig to find my rulebook from that one to check .

All in all it's your game , as so long as players agree & any query is resolved logically & to majority satisfaction , then it's all good :-)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #3
ColBosch

Racer, he's talking about the current Car Wars Classic boxed set. I'm not sure why you're discussing the 1980s versions.

skruddgemire, the copy you have should be fully compatible with the second edition of the Car Wars Compendium.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Racer

Sorry I misunderstood .
It wasn't clear from the original post & I get very similar emails from people who DO own the original '80's pocket box etc & have recently bought & downloaded the Compendium from the shop .

A lot of guys who were into CW in the early '80's , have had their interest in it rekindled with all the current activities . A lot from the UK haven't ventured beyond Deluxe & to be honest are a bit lost .
Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Magesmiley

The rules in the Classic set originated as a subset of the Compendium.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote