Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
JMD

Default Re: Undead Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
I've had a couple aborted starts at a larger monster generator. Undead have a tighter focus so should be easier to implement. And maybe the lessons I learn will help with the larger generator. There was one largely successful attempt based on adapting a pre-published generator to GURPS. I'll see if I can find it and link it when I get a moment.

I don't mind at all if you use this for your app. If I didn't want this shared, I wouldn't be posting it here!
You are a class act, sir. I put this as a future enhancement on my list o' features.
JMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Jerander

Changed the undead mentality meta-traits on Table 4. Please look them over and critique.

To Do List:
1) Iron out speech.
2) Appearances.
3) Vampirism.
4) Weaknesses.
5) Powers.

Thank you,
Jerander.

Last edited by Jerander; 12-30-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
Rasputin

Quote:
I've had a couple aborted starts at a larger monster generator. Undead have a tighter focus so should be easier to implement.
Some, though not all, of the Monster Classes of Dungeon Fantasy would work well for this. Undead, already in process. Construct might work well also. Dragon isn't a Class, but might work well too.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
b-dog

Here is an idea for an undead power. When a cleric tries to turn an undead he uses his faith in his deity and presents that faith towards the undead that he wants to turn. Some undead are created of greater infernal energies and are harder to turn and sometimes the cleric fails to be able to use his faith to keep the undead at bay. There are some undead that are extremely malign and can turn the tables on a turning cleric. If the cleric fails in his attempt to turn this undead then the undead can make a counter attack and cause the cleric to lose his faith for a period of time. The a cleric will lose Power Investiture ( Holy) and any spells that can be cast using it. This usually lasts until the cleric is able to recommune with his deity. When an undead can not be turned then it can cause a momentary loss of faith and this is what the counter attack targets. It puts just enough doubt into the mind of the cleric that the infernal energies can seep into the mind of the turning cleric and sever the connection to holy powers.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Some, though not all, of the Monster Classes of Dungeon Fantasy would work well for this. Undead, already in process. Construct might work well also. Dragon isn't a Class, but might work well too.
That's an interesting way to approach it. Undead seems relatively easy due to the large number of base templates. Other classes might be more difficult...We'll see how this goes and where the muse takes me afterwards...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
b-dog

Claws of the Damned: The undead with this power is able to cause great pain with his icy claws, so much so that the PC struck by those claws must make a Will roll at a penalty of the amount of Hit Points of damage delived. On a failure the PC will run in mindless terror until far enough away to be safe from the undead. The effects are permanent unless a Remove Curse is successfully cast and the wound bathed in holy water and allowed to heal naturally ( no magic or potions).
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #27
b-dog

Dominating Vampire Bite: A vampire may bite a victim and drain his blood without killing him but this will leave a permanent mark on the soul of the living. A vampire who takes the blood of a PC will forever be at advantage over the PC when using mind control powers.some vampires will use their gaze to easily control those they have fed upon before while other more powerful vampires can use mind control with their voice alone. The PC is forever susceptible to a vampire who has drained their blood and this can not be stopped with a mere Remove Curse spell., instead the vampire must be slain for the PC to be free of this affliction.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymdok View Post
Just out of curiosity, am I the only one who still keeps the following undead heiracrchy from least to most powerful
  1. Skeleton
  2. Zombie
  3. Ghoul
  4. Wight
  5. Wraith
  6. Ghost
  7. Vampire
  8. Lich
I tend to assume that, physically, most undead are roughly balanced, though not the same. Skeletons are faster but weaker, mummies are stronger but more fragile, etc.

The biggest differences is in the method of animation. A simple spell to animate a corpse makes for a rather weak creature, while a revenant seeking divine or unholy retribution is a nigh-unstoppable terror.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Nymdok

Quote:
I never played D&D (of any edition) much, so I'm not familiar with this ranking. However, it reminds me of an undead "level" system, so, yeah, not that interested...I like GURPS for its lack of arbitrary hierarchies...

For me it helps me keep em straight in my rapidly agiing brain :)

Specifically, when I introduced skeltons, early in the DF campaign, I built them as roughly 1 on 1 level 'Worthy' adversaries with zombies a bit tougher. Later (about 30cp) when I introduced the ghouls, they were a bit more than worthy but by that time the skeletons had become largely fodder. If i ever get that game back up and running itll be time for wights and maybe ghasts.

Its a 'level' system of sorts for me, but I have such nostalgia for those days that I still build em like that (stats tweaked for relevance). Note that I reserve the right to 'ghast' any of the undead at my whim or where I think its suitable for level design. As ghasts are really just upgraded Ghouls, Im not above 'upgrading' skeletons or zombies or any undead to return them to relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I tend to assume that, physically, most undead are roughly balanced, though not the same. Skeletons are faster but weaker, mummies are stronger but more fragile, etc.

The biggest differences is in the method of animation. A simple spell to animate a corpse makes for a rather weak creature, while a revenant seeking divine or unholy retribution is a nigh-unstoppable terror.
I vary them along similar lines (Thanks to mutant league football, Ill always remember skeletons as 'Agile but fragile') but do not normally make them balanced relative to each other. The method of animation has little to do with it in my games (no ones playing a necromancer so my hands are pretty free there).

I didnt see it upthread, and Ive no idea how to build/price the power off the top of my head, but one of the Mystic Knights in the Party had Vampiric Shot (?) or something along those lines that could sap health from the target. I immediately ruled that those attacks would CAUSE damage to him rather than heal him and justified it with some 'Negative Material Plane' mumbo jumbo from 1e AD&D. They bought it, and the cleric even twigged to using healing spells as an offensive weapon. Anyone wanna build 'From the negative matierial palne' lens?

Nymdok

Last edited by Nymdok; 12-31-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
Jerander

Quote:
For me it helps me keep em straight in my rapidly agiing brain :)

Its a 'level' system of sorts for me, but I have such nostalgia for those days that I still build em like that (stats tweaked for relevance). Note that I reserve the right to 'ghast' any of the undead at my whim...
Fair enough! I have a nostalgia for Gamma World, so I understand out that goes. As long as you enjoy it, it's all good!

Quote:
...Anyone wanna build 'From the negative matierial palne' lens?
Hm...Maybe. What I'm doing now is setting up "base" templates. Adding a variety of lenses to those bases seems like a good way to get even more variety! Any other suggestions for additional lenses?

Note that I am going for statted abilities. I can fluff things out on the fly, but find point totals useful for many things and want to hit all those as well.