Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Clipper

Default Re: rule clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Snazzy! Though I don't know how often I have a Hireling sitting in my hand when I've got none on the table, so this will probably never come into play for me. ;-)
Hmm, I just had a thought that might make what I just said not work, though. While you can definitely play any Hireling during combat, you might not be able to give a Big Item to it. This is probably seen as switching Items during combat, which isn't allowed by the rules.

If I'm correct, that means the only Hireling that could save your Big Item is the Gnome Hireling, as it allows you to carry an extra Big Item. You might just have an extra one in your hand if you already had a different Hireling in play, which you can replace with the new one (or perhaps you had one that was just killed and was carrying the extra Big Item you are trying to save).

Last edited by Clipper; 11-29-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #22
Brf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Is it correct to say 5 or less? This implies that you could have 6 cards and pay 2 in Charity to get to 4. You must stop at your hand limit of 5 when you are actually paying cards as Charity, right?
MM is referring to playing cards before charity. If you play enough cards to get to 5-or-less, then you do not give charity.
Brf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #23
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brf View Post
MM is referring to playing cards before charity. If you play enough cards to get to 5-or-less, then you do not give charity.
I considered that, but he specifically said to 'pay' cards to get to 5 or less. The only cards you can pay in this situation is those given as Charity. Perhaps this was a typo and he meant 'play' instead... Edit: indeed he did.

Last edited by Clipper; 11-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
MunchkinMan

Clipper: I fixed the post, but the context should have been clear enough that I was saying that if you could play enough cards to get to 5 or less hand cards, you don't have any cards you can legally give away. I also don't know if I refer to giving Charity as paying anywhere here, but just because I don't do it often doesn't mean it hasn't happened...

I thought I checked everything, but working through my phone can create issues when Swype chooses words for me...
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 11-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Clipper

Given it turns out it was a typo, I removed that part from my post as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
Wily

Do these rules apply to ships from Booty as well? I know you can only have one ship and the Big designation is for curse application but must i trade/discard a ship if i want to play another ship from my hand?
Wily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
Clipper

Yes and no, the rules are similar but not the same.

Just like Big Items, you are unable to play the other Ship from your hand without finding some way to remove the first Ship. Selling for levels, trading away or powering a discard ability of a Loyalty or Class are some of the ways you could get rid of a Ship you no longer want, but you can't just discard one.

If you do have a legal method to have more than one Ship (e.g., Navy) and you lose the ability, then you have a chance to immediately rectify the situation, but if you can't, then you must discard the excess Ships. You do not give them to the lowest-Level player that can take them like you would do with Big Items you can't hold due to their being Big.

Last edited by Clipper; 04-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Tags
big items, charity