Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 12-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
DAT

Default Zero-G/Space "Buzzbot" Cybershell Template?

Is there a template in one of the books for a small recon cybershell like a buzzbot, but for zero-G/space?

I was assuming there would be something like this for doing quick inspections or security scans of the outer surface of spacecraft, stations, or small asteroids. Or actually entering them if there was some kind of an accident with debris flying around, and you didn't want to risk a biological in a vacc-suit until you got a look.

I was expecting something in High Frontiers or Deep Beyond, but missed it if it is there.

I am thinking of a essentially a Thruster Pack (p.TS152) with a sensor package and controlling AI, but maybe with a minimal weapon (micromissile pod) and or small manipulator arm (snatch loose tools/gear, press buttons/turn latches to open hatches, etc.).

I can build my own, by taking a Buzzbot and changing it's:
Flight (Temporary Disadvantage, Noisy 2, -4%) [39]
to
Flight (Newtonian Space Flight, +25%; Space Flight Only, -75%; ... ) [20]

But that doesn't quite capture the limited delta-V of the Thruster Pack. What if I changed out the Thruster Pack for a Chemical Rocket, Stabilized Metallic Hydrogen Rocket, Fusion Torch, etc? And or if it had a ton of propellant, rather than tens of pounds or propellant?

A pointer or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 AM   #2
RogerBW

Default Re: Zero-G/Space "Buzzbot" Cybershell Template?

The way to set delta V for Newtonian Space Flight is that it's your Move (including Enhanced Move), while your acceleration is your Move (without Enhanced Move).

In this case you're trying for 300yard/s dV and 3yard/s/s acceleration.

Add Flight (Newtonian Space Flight, +25%; Space Flight Only, -75%) [20]

(I'm adding Space Flight Only because even though the thrusters will work in an atmosphere they only develop about 0.3 gravities, so they won't give you Flight in a lot of places where it might be useful. Technically this should probably be a different new limitation.)

A buzzbot has a Basic Speed of 5.5 (for its +1 HT), so its starting Flight move is 11. Buy it down to 3 for [-16].

We need 6.6 doublings to get 3 up to 300, so let's add 7: Enhanced Move (Space) 7 (Newtonian, -50%) [70] for a total dV of 384 yard/s.

Total cost 74 points.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:18 PM   #3
DAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
The way to set delta V for Newtonian Space Flight is that it's your Move (including Enhanced Move), while your acceleration is your Move (without Enhanced Move).

In this case you're trying for 300yard/s dV and 3yard/s/s acceleration.

Add Flight (Newtonian Space Flight, +25%; Space Flight Only, -75%) [20]

(I'm adding Space Flight Only because even though the thrusters will work in an atmosphere they only develop about 0.3 gravities, so they won't give you Flight in a lot of places where it might be useful. Technically this should probably be a different new limitation.)

A buzzbot has a Basic Speed of 5.5 (for its +1 HT), so its starting Flight move is 11. Buy it down to 3 for [-16].

We need 6.6 doublings to get 3 up to 300, so let's add 7: Enhanced Move (Space) 7 (Newtonian, -50%) [70] for a total dV of 384 yard/s.

Total cost 74 points.
Thanks Roger!.

I see how you did it (and also see this is the same way it was done for the space Jump RATS), but I'm not sure I agree with the 7 levels of Enhanced Move being the best way to model that. Theoretically the buzzbot cybershell could get moving that fast, but doing so would be a rare occurrence. There are very few times it would make sense to go for one long continuous burn and then be flying ballistic with no way to stop of turn around, short of a kamikaze run at a station or stationary spacecraft. I could sort of justify half that, representing half to speed up and half to slow down. But with maneuvering, probably a quarter to a third is more realistic of a maximum speed commonly attained. I guess ideally the 300 would translate to an endurance/Fatigue Point equivalent. Have to think on this some more.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
Thanks Roger!.

I see how you did it (and also see this is the same way it was done for the space Jump RATS), but I'm not sure I agree with the 7 levels of Enhanced Move being the best way to model that.
I don't particularly like this as the way to model a fuel-limited spacecraft but it's the official way. I wonder if somebody didn't get hung up on how neatly this worked out as game mechnics but overlooked oif this was a _fair_ cost. You get a big discount on "Flight:Newtonian Space Flight Only" which is the core ability but you get no discount at all on the Enhanced Move.

I wonder if putting Limited Time on the Space Flight might not be fairer.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I wonder if putting Limited Time on the Space Flight might not be fairer.
In Will to Live I used a Maximum Duration limitation for (airborne) Flight to represent something like a XAU-04 Vulture, which can sit for a long time running off its internal batteries but can only actually fly for three hours. Something based on that would make sense.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote