Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Flaming Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Unless it's always on. :D
Can you take Always On with an Attack, especially one with Emmanation?

Even if you can isn't Emmanation+Area Affect+Selective Area (with Limited: Ring Shape Only)+Always On+Switchable alot more complicated (and probably more expensive) than Melee Attack Reach 2 + Aura?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #12
silverjoker

You are right, but is an Aura already ''always on'' or ''persistent''?
silverjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:44 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverjoker
You are right, but is an Aura already ''always on'' or ''persistent''?
Well, reading the rules, yes. However I'm wrong, as you specifically can't take it at any reach other than close. Hmmm.

BTW, Always on wouldn't make it perstistant just not switchable.

Now I'm really not sure how you could do ring shaped auras. If you can't use Aura you would need Emmanation, Persistant, Area Effect, Selective Area (Limited: Ring Shape), and Mobile which seems exceedingly complex.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
silverjoker

It is indeed complicated. I'll grab my book as I get home, and look at this
silverjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
PK

The answers are contained mostly in Powers but also in Characters.

Aura turns your transient attack ability into a switchable one. Aura is a requirement for Always On because you cannot take Always On on a transient ability, only a switchable one. Aura by itself does not reduce your range, but it is incompatible with any sort of normal ranged attack, and thus requires the Melee (or, one would assume, Emanation) limitation.

So, if you want a character whose firey aura fills up the two yards around him, I would buy it as Aura, Area Effect 2 yards, and Emanation, with the option of also taking Always On. You could not just take Always On, Area Effect and Emanation, as Always On is not a valid limitation on a transient ability -- Aura is needed as well.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #16
arnej

Thanks all for some thought-provoking suggestions!

arne
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
Aura by itself does not reduce your range, but it is incompatible with any sort of normal ranged attack, and thus requires the Melee (or, one would assume, Emanation) limitation.

So, if you want a character whose firey aura fills up the two yards around him, I would buy it as Aura, Area Effect 2 yards, and Emanation,
This seems to contradict Characters, which states that Aura must be taken with Melee Attack Reach C. Is this errata?
Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #18
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
This seems to contradict Characters, which states that Aura must be taken with Melee Attack Reach C. Is this errata?
Yes, but interestingly enough, Melee attack doesn't restrict the attack from having Area Effect. So maybe Area Effect can be added in without Emanation? (I know, it's stretch, but there has to be something which allows for a switchable emanation which doesn't require concentration to maintain) Though, effectively Emanation removes the need for an attack roll, so maybe it could be considered to remove the need for an attack maneuver.

note: Melee attack does say that the attack can not have any enhancements/limitations which modify Malf, 1/2D, Max, Acc, RoF, Shots, and Recoil, and Area Effect doesn't modify any of those stats.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #19
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
I said, "one would assume". I never said that was explicitly allowed. It's just a natural assumption that it makes sense to use it, given the logic behind how the various modifiers work.

I don't think it's legal to use Area Effect + Melee, as ccwebs posted, though. Melee requires you to hit the subject with your body/weapon. Area Effect does not require this, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons it's a smaller limitation. If you're going to use Area Effect with Aura, it's my opinion as a GM that you should use Emanation instead of Melee, C, because the latter is a bit of a crock.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev_Pee_Kitty
I said, "one would assume". I never said that was explicitly allowed. It's just a natural assumption that it makes sense to use it, given the logic behind how the various modifiers work.

I don't think it's legal to use Area Effect + Melee, as ccwebs posted, though. Melee requires you to hit the subject with your body/weapon. Area Effect does not require this, which is undoubtedly one of the reasons it's a smaller limitation. If you're going to use Area Effect with Aura, it's my opinion as a GM that you should use Emanation instead of Melee, C, because the latter is a bit of a crock.
Well, my preference is for Emanation and Area Effect (no Aura needed), but Aura and Melee Attack doesn't require a "hit" roll either (for you to "attack", yes, but not if something touches you) so I don't see anywhere in the rules where Aura+Melee+Area Effect would be blantly against the rules (just a really big stretch of them, so maybe it breaks the spirit but not the letter?)
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura with area effect