Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Polearm vs. Axe/Mace AND Spear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
No one in history ever put a stabbing point on an axe? I find that hard to believe.
People have probably tried it plenty of times. The fact that it wasn't established in regular use anywhere strongly suggests that it isn't very useful.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Bruno

Quote:
Symmetry would be reducing the number of skills as well as increasing them.
He wasn't arguing for or against symmetry, his interests lie orthogonal to symmetry.

And, no, I'm not particularly bothered by it being "asymmetrical". My obsessive compulsive tendencies are pretty tightly restricted to sorting candy by colour and then carefully eating them so each batch of colours stays balanced. And trying to figure out the volume and mass of random crap.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
People have probably tried it plenty of times. The fact that it wasn't established in regular use anywhere strongly suggests that it isn't very useful.
I don't see how having another option is so not useful as to make its skill non-existent but only when wielding it one handed.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
Bruno

Quote:
I don't see how having another option is so not useful as to make its skill non-existent but only when wielding it one handed.
... because the biomechanics of holding a heavy ended thing in one hand from the distant point from the weight is very difficult to stab with, compared to having that second hand on the shaft for bracing and another four feet or so behind you to help counterweight the head.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
I guess, when it comes to it, using a weapon in that manner might normally require two skills (stabbing & hacking)
Sword skills allow you to stab and hack. Staff allows you to swing or thrust. Spear allows you to use one-handed or two-handed. So theoretically, it seems fair that a single weapon skill could cover swing, thrust, 1-hand, or 2 simply by increasing the difficulty from Average to Hard.

I trained with the Spear in my Xingyi class, swings were quite common (although we never used it with 1 hand, so maybe I was learning Staff for the Spear). Similarly, I've seen reenactors thrust with axes many times (usually after hooking a weapon or shield and pulling it out of line.) I don't think it breaks anything to give Spears a swing crushing attack (unready if swung one-handed) and axes a thrust crushing attack. They're still subobtimal uses of the weapon.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #26
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
I don't think it breaks anything to give Spears a swing crushing attack
Spears have a swing crushing attack. It uses the Staff skill, or if you prefer, it's a special attack mode for the Spear that's executed at -2 to effective skill (the default penalty to Staff).

(And yes, many spear-oriented martial arts share a lot of the same body of technique as with a similar sized staff - so either there's a Spear/Staff skill which also covers one handed "staffs" aka batons, which work a heck of a lot like swords, so perhaps there's no sword skill either, just Spear/Staff/Sword - or you're using the cross-skill default, or you're putting some points to buy up Staff from that default)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Spears have a swing crushing attack. It uses the Staff skill, or if you prefer, it's a special attack mode for the Spear that's executed at -2 to effective skill (the default penalty to Staff).
Fair enough, but there's no corallary for thrusting with an Axe. There is no default between spear and axe.

My point is that there are no balance or realism issues preventing a spear to be swung at full Spear skill and an Axe to be thrust at full Axe skill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
(And yes, many spear-oriented martial arts share a lot of the same body of technique as with a similar sized staff - so either there's a Spear/Staff skill which also covers one handed "staffs" aka batons, which work a heck of a lot like swords, so perhaps there's no sword skill either, just Spear/Staff/Sword - or you're using the cross-skill default, or you're putting some points to buy up Staff from that default)
In my as yet untested house rules on the subject, there is no Staff skill at all. A staff can be used with either Spear or Two-Handed Sword at no penalty--if you want to take a wide grip on it to improve your defenses, well that's what Defensive Grip is for.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #28
Polydamas

Quote:
When you're strong enough to wield a two handed polearm with multiple types of damage one handed you suddenly need two skills when one sufficed before.
Any ideas on why that is?
Consider balanced/unbalanced, one handed/two handed, and swung/thrust as variables. That gives eight possibilities.

Spear covers balanced thrusting weapons (2 categories). Polearm covers two-handed, unbalanced, swung or thrust weapons (2 categories). Axe/Mace covers a really big variety of one-handed, unbalanced, swung weapons (1 category). Hatchet or mace play doesn't involve much thrusting, so practicing with a hatchet won't make you very good at thrusting.

Ideally weapon skills would be per weapon with a default to every other weapon, but generalizing that spear fighters train one and two handed, axemen practice with clubs, etc. is much simpler. If it really annoys you, see TBone's system for building your own weapon skill.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Ok, everyone. I think I understand why it is the way it is now.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #30
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Consider balanced/unbalanced, one handed/two handed, and swung/thrust as variables. That gives eight possibilities.
Technically there's a third variable - "Flexible or rigid" for whips, flails, and such.

Where I to rejigger the combat skills, I'd drop the one/twohanded variable, and look seriously at the cluster of pick/axe/mace/spear/polearm/staff skills. This is a big muddle of hafted weapons.

I'd be inclined to put picks, axes and hammers into one category (all three require the head to be oriented correctly when striking) and maces, knobbly clubs, and the like into another, easier category with a friendly inter-default (no concern about rotation of the haft).

Spear and staff can be smashed together. (squish)

I would leave polearms separate from axes/maces, but the skill wouldn't cover thrusting. Thrusting would be covered by spear/staff (As would butt strikes), but polearm and spear/staff would have a very friendly inter-default.

Polearms are distinct from the axe/mace/pick group in that they have the long counterweight of the haft behind the wielders grip, and the working edges of the heads hug close to the shaft, to try and minimize how "unbalanced" they are (not the gurps term). A one-handed "Polearm" would need the same design - counterweight haft and close-hugging striking surface.

Polearm is basically a transitional form between pick/axe/mace and sword - it's "More better balanced" than an axe and so can have a thrusting component in the skill (at the small default penalty to staff/spear", but isn't as well balanced as a sword.

Someone who takes a regular war axe or hatchet and sticks a spike on the end could use it with the polearm skill, but they'd be at a penalty all the time for both thrusting and swinging, as it's a terrible polearm.

Tags
kromm answer