Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Isdariel2

Default [Powers] Shapeshifting Others

Greetings,

recently I tried to create the following power (or a very similiar one at least) and it looks like I'm going to need your help.

*The owner of the created power can change the form of himself or any other person he touches. This is not only a pure vision-change, but a whole physical change. The mental abilities of the target remain the same though.
*Opposed people can make a roll to resist.
*The new form must be choosen by the owner of the power when using the power and can't be switched by anyone afterwards.
*The duration can end sooner if the owner of the power wishes. The target cannot end the duration himself.
*The new form should allow only animals, other restrictions (such as Alternate Form's in-build point limit) are ok aswell.
*Bonus points if hitpoints don't change with the new form.

After some tinkering the best I could do was:

Affliction 1, Advantage +60% (Alternate Form, Always On -40%, 6pts), Melee ("C", can't parry) -35% [x]
Modular Abilities ([fitting version which allows for instant&cheap relocation of points, but only a limited list] 1 slot, with [x] points), +50% physical, Traitlimited ("Affliction with Alternate Form, see above") -50%, Focus-Limited ("Only animal forms") -15%

And after that I got a headache from trying to fulfill the "owner can end duration" requirement. :)

Last edited by Isdariel2; 09-08-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Isdariel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: [Powers] Shapeshifting Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isdariel2 View Post
Greetings,

recently I tried to create the following power (or a very similiar one at least) and it looks like I'm going to need your help.

*The owner of the created power can change the form of himself or any other person he touches. This is not only a pure vision-change, but a whole physical change. The mental abilities of the target remain the same though.
*Opposed people can make a roll to resist.
*The new form must be choosen by the owner of the power when using the power and can't be switched by anyone afterwards.
*The duration can end sooner if the owner of the power wishes. The target cannot end the duration himself.
*The new form should allow only animals, other restrictions (such as Alternate Form's in-build point limit) are ok aswell.
*Bonus points if hitpoints don't change with the new form.

After some tinkering the best I could do was:

Affliction 1, Advantage +60% (Alternate Form, Always On -40%, 6pts), Melee ("C", can't parry) -35% [x]
Modular Abilities ([fitting version which allows for instant&cheap relocation of points, but only a limited list] 1 slot, with [x] points), +50% physical, Traitlimited ("Affliction with Alternate Form, see above") -50%, Focus-Limited ("Only animal forms") -15%

And after that I got a headache from trying to fulfill the "owner can end duration" requirement. :)
Being able to cancel an Affliction it +10%, according to Psionic Powers.

You can't get a limitation for making an Alternate Form have Always On by the way.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
You can't get a limitation for making an Alternate Form have Always On by the way.
Exactly, it's Extended Duration at the Permanent enhancement level and comes in at +150% since the attacker can break it.

You don't have to pay for the ability to break the affliction if you make it one of the built-in conditions of the Permanent, after all you're paying +150% already.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Isdariel2

Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Being able to cancel an Affliction it +10%, according to Psionic Powers.
Thanks! Looks like I should get Psionic Powers aswell. *notes* Excuse me for only working with Basic+Powers at the moment.

Quote:
Fair enough. Uncontrollable and Trigger should work though, since they're explictly listed for "Werecreatures". And the way I read shapeshifting, the person with the alternate form advantage has the option to switch form. Which would make it impractical to grant enemies this ability, thus I'll need something to prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Exactly, it's Extended Duration at the Permanent enhancement level and comes in at +150% since the attacker can break it.

You don't have to pay for the ability to break the affliction if you make it one of the built-in conditions of the Permanent, after all you're paying +150% already.
I'm not really sure which duration you want to extend.
*The Affliction grants the Advantage for a limited duration and that's alright. I just want the user of the Affliction to be able to break it earlier (which lexington already covered, thanks!).
*The Shapeshifting Advantage itself has no duration, but is switchable instead. How Extended Duration would work on that one is beyond me.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
I'm not really sure which duration you want to extend.
*The Affliction grants the Advantage for a limited duration and that's alright. I just want the user of the Affliction to be able to break it earlier (which lexington already covered, thanks!).
*The Shapeshifting Advantage itself has no duration, but is switchable instead. How Extended Duration would work on that one is beyond me.
The enhancement is on the Affliction.

If you Afflict someone into a Frog, they're stuck as a frog until the time runs out on the Affliction, depending on how well they resisted.

If you give them the power of having an AF as a Frog, they can turn back and forth between human and frog like any other shapeshifter until the time runs out of the affliction, depending on how well they resisted.

If your affliction has Permanent +150% on it, and you Afflict them into a frog, they stay a frog until the break condition occurs, kissed by a prince/princess, etc., or the afflictor breaks the effect.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6
Isdariel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
If you Afflict someone into a Frog, they're stuck as a frog until the time runs out on the Affliction, depending on how well they resisted.
Yes! That's what I want. I just have no clue how to accomplish this - if it's as simple as you make it sound, drop me a hint please. :) (Is it another option from Psionic Powers?)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
lexington

Quote:
Yes! That's what I want. I just have no clue how to accomplish this - if it's as simple as you make it sound, drop me a hint please. :) (Is it another option from Psionic Powers?)
That's how Affliction works normally. It's right there in the description for afflicting advantages.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
It's in Powers, p.143, under Curses, as costing [50] but that includes Permanent and Malediction on the Affliction, you can make it cheaper without those.

Something like:

Frog : Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage Alternate Form, Frog, +150%; Melee C, Can't Parry, -35%) [22]

Now, if you want to be able to turn anyone into any type of animal, you either buy that as a Modular ability, or you buy it with Morph instead:

Animal Forms: Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage Morph, Animals Only, +800%; Melee C, Can't Parry, -35%) [87]
Old 09-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
Bruno

It's a 0% switch. Pick one.

A "I turn you into a toad! AHah!" affliction is more useful as an attack, less useful to sneak your friends in through toad-sized holes or containers or what-have-you.

A "I give you the TOAD power! Ahah!" affliction is FAR less useful as an attack but FAR more useful as a buff for your friends and yourself.

6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
Isdariel2

Quote:
That's how Affliction works normally. It's right there in the description for afflicting advantages.
Arg! I did not see the wood for the trees. :(
Thanks. >_>

Tags
kromm answer, shapeshifting