Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #71
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: GURPS DF / DFRPG Random Dungeon Generator

It just occurred to me... we have a Minotaur coding a labyrinth generator...

Should we be at all worried?
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #72
adm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It just occurred to me... we have a Minotaur coding a labyrinth generator...

Should we be at all worried?
It's a little late now.

;)
Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #73
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
It's a little late now.

;)
It's never too late to start worrying. <_< >_> <_<
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #74
Bruno

NOW do you see why I'm obsessed with the hallway algorithms?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:37 PM   #75
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
NOW do you see why I'm obsessed with the hallway algorithms?
I'm amazed that drow never implemented hallway size. I'm also amazed that I never noticed before. I'm sure we all have used that darn generator about a thousand times each.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #76
Bruno

I figured over six months is worth an update for everyone on this project. I've been plugging away for the past 6 months; I haven't made as much big-shiny-feature progress as I'd like as I keep chewing on the issue of hallway size. That said, I have made some notable changes, and I'm preparing a release so people can play with those changes while I keep working.

A few highlights of the upcoming release:
  • A GM/Player map button
  • Some doors generate partly open
  • I moved things like creeks and chasms to their own kind of room feature. Expect to see these more often.
  • Doors are now labeled on the map.
  • Two rooms next to each other should be more polite about how they put doors in the shared wall.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #77
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The corridors are (currently) laid down by a drunken walk. The tunnel digger goes out a door and digs a spot, then it has a random chance to keep going in the same direction or to pick a random new direction. If the direction chosen is blocked it has a chance to make a junction (if applicable) or picks a new direction.
What the Corridors setting controls is that likelyhood of continuing in a straight line... but it's still just digging blindly with no particular destination in mind, which means when it's "straight" it does march happily in a straight line... but it tends to spiral after hitting a barrier. Trim Deadends can help with this as those spirals are all dead ends, but it's only a bandaid over the issue.
It's somewhat better then the random dungeons tables in the old DMG1 which tended to result in dungeons designed by the drunkenly insane...while they were high.

"Let There Be A Method To Your Madness" Dragon #10 (October, 1977) gives some pointers.

"You, as the designer, must think like the builders when you design a dungeon, and allow for all of the necessary functions of the dungeon"

"It won’t take you any longer to create a dungeon this way, and in fact it will probably be faster, due to the benefits of being organized, knowing exactly what each area is for and why it is there. The time you spend in initial planning is cancelled out when you set up the individual levels, because you don’t spend ten or fifteen idle moments wondering what to do with the next level."

The thing to remember that even in a D&D like world stone structures are expensive so there aren't going to be many unneeded twists and turns in the corridors. Doors are a great way to slow down any invaders and they are far cheaper in time, energy, and money than making the corridor look like it was designed by Daedalus.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #78
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
"Let There Be A Method To Your Madness" Dragon #10 (October, 1977) gives some pointers.
That was a formative article in my early gaming days. Not only did it change the way I designed dungeons, but I learned a pile of new vocabulary. I clearly recall the room with the dark stains that were from a former occupant, an old sergeant, who chewed tobacco and would expectorate toward his cuspidor (and miss, as often as not). Cuspidors have remained a not uncommon element of dungeon dressing in my games ever since. (And I'm fairly certain I have never used the word outside of a gaming context.)

In GURPS, the History and Ancient History spells make it much more likely that PCs might actually get to figure out some of these funky details.

The article's advice, however, seems quite a bit easier to apply as an intelligent designer rather than as a computer algorithm. I could see, however, there being a system whereby rooms have some sort of original purpose (or a general theme is randomly generated first, and the dressing of the rooms follows that theme).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #79
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Oh, I don't need pointers like "don't dig randomly", that's specifically what I'm trying to implement. The random path is just a thing that gives y'all something while I'm fighting with it.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #80
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The article's advice, however, seems quite a bit easier to apply as an intelligent designer rather than as a computer algorithm. I could see, however, there being a system whereby rooms have some sort of original purpose (or a general theme is randomly generated first, and the dressing of the rooms follows that theme).
That's definitely on the long-term goals list. The "blind insane designer" approach we have going on now is not the desired end goal, it's just a quick stopgap (and kind of funny) while more coherent things are cobbled together.

I do plan on retaining the random/random as an option, however. Sometimes you really want a dungeon designed by an insane Elder Thing and dug out by a Minotaur work crew.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeons, random dungeon, utility