Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #21
DanHoward

Default Re: Damage and wounding readjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Not maces, not lances, not even raven-beaks or anti-plating-intended warhammers unless they have AD(2).
Sounds about right. FWIW it isn't an "anti-plating-intended" weapon unless it has AD (2)

Quote:
DR10 is enough to be mostly safe from SMGs and suffer very mild wounds even from rifles. Make that plate out of titanium, and it gets 1/3 the mass for the same DR.
The titanium mod in HT was intended for Basic Set armour, which is seriously over weight. If you want to make real armour from titanium then the weight might be around 2/3 of a steel equivalent.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
Sounds about right. FWIW it isn't an "anti-plating-intended" weapon unless it has AD (2)
Which basically means only drills, shears, and bodkin point arrows. The latter is basically useless if taken together with the Deadly Spring versus DR10 plate.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #23
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Jedi View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler to add another damage type (chopping) to distingish between axes and swords?
maybe, but the actually new damage should be slashing, for swords, that new type would be lower damage for higher multiplier.
But I think it's easier if all damage types followed the "pi" model(with + and -)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
Pretty much. Edged weapons, especially swords, perform in a notoriously poor fashion against any hard target, especially armor.

On the anecdotal side, have you ever noticed some of the old illustrations of battle, when it comes to two important people in armor fighting, they frequently seem to be grabbing the helmet, pulling it forward and using the sword to strike at the now exposed back of the neck? That's about the only real way to do it. Get them to somehow expose unarmored sections and strike those.
I wonder how would these work under Technical Grappling
Old 11-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #24
DanHoward

Quote:
Which basically means only drills, shears, and bodkin point arrows. The latter is basically useless if taken together with the Deadly Spring versus DR10 plate.
So it should be. 150 lb warbows have can barely penetrate a 2mm iron breastplate with the hardest bodkins.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
So it should be. 150 lb warbows have can barely penetrate a 2mm iron breastplate with the hardest bodkins.
The point is that with the inclusion of Deadly Spring adjustments, the only two remaining anti-plate weapons are tools like drills and shears, not combat weapons.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #26
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
DR10 is enough to be mostly safe from SMGs and suffer very mild wounds even from rifles. Make that plate out of titanium, and it gets 1/3 the mass for the same DR.
That should be 1/3 LESS mass, not 1/3 the mass. Typo/errata.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #27
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
maybe, but the actually new damage should be slashing, for swords, that new type would be lower damage for higher multiplier.
But I think it's easier if all damage types followed the "pi" model(with + and -)

I wonder how would these work under Technical Grappling
It works fine under RAW too, under Grab and Smash. It's easier under TG, as you can spend Control Points to offset hit location penalties.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #28
DanHoward

Quote:
The point is that with the inclusion of Deadly Spring adjustments, the only two remaining anti-plate weapons are tools like drills and shears, not combat weapons.
It is impossible for any muscle-powered weapon to punch through DR 10 plate unless you use superhuman strength. Plate that heavy is over 4mm thick.

According to Williams:
it requires 475J for a hardened bodkin to punch through 4mm of mild steel. 1.5x more for hardened steel.
it requires 3400J for a musket ball to punch through 4mm of mild steel. 1.5x more for hardened steel.

Last edited by DanHoward; 11-04-2013 at 06:40 AM.
DanHoward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
It is impossible for any muscle-powered weapon to punch through DR 10 plate unless you use superhuman strength.
So were heavy plate-armoured combatants outright invulnerable in combat time? As of Low-Tech, the only way to beat them with ST13ish seems to be a highly skilled archer/crossbowman making a Bodkin shot at Chinks (reducing DR to 2)*, and not a warhammer or similar weapon (which mostly fails to penetrate).

* == Deadly Spring reduces the usefulness of this approach, but I'm not sure whether it becomes fully non-viable compared to a mêlée weapon.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #30
DouglasCole

Quote:
So were heavy plate-armoured combatants outright invulnerable in combat time? As of Low-Tech, the only way to beat them with ST13ish seems to be a highly skilled archer/crossbowman making a Bodkin shot at Chinks (reducing DR to 2)*, and not a warhammer or similar weapon (which mostly fails to penetrate).

* == Deadly Spring reduces the usefulness of this approach, but I'm not sure whether it becomes fully non-viable compared to a mêlée weapon.
I think the moral of the story is that very few people had DR 10 (4-ish mm) plate on every square inch of their body. My understanding, and I believe Dan has physically measured museum pieces, that a "4mm breastplate" would be 2mm in some places, 4mm at the thickest over the vitals.

Tags
armor divisor, damage, wounding