Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #1
poi

Default Additional Iron Mountain scenarios?

So the mats will be with me in a few weeks. Plenty of scenario options for M1 and M3, but other than Iron Mountain, have folks written other scenarios for M2?

Honk if Pluto is a planet
poi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: Additional Iron Mountain scenarios?

I've got a couple ideas. I'll write up a proper scenario and post it tomorrow or Sunday.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
poi

Awesome, cheers!

Honk if Pluto is a planet
poi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 AM   #4
ColBosch

Or right now. :D

Tightrope

Two forces find themselves on either side of a narrow mountain pass. Perhaps it's a Combine attack in the Pyrenees, perhaps it's a Nihon strike across the Rockies. No matter the factions involved, the goal remains the same: cross the pass, break through the opposition's lines, and strike deep to their rear.

Overview and Necessary Materials: This scenario requires the use of the Iron Mountain playmat (M2) and any other two M-series playmats. It may be played using Ogre Designer's Edition, Ogre Sixth Edition, and any combination of their supplements.

This scenario is meant for two players. If there are more than two players, they should divided into equal sides, and each side will share in victory or defeat.

One side's forces start within three hexes of the very left-most edge of the playing area. The other side starts within three hexes of the very right-most edge.

Map Setup: Place the three playmats in a row, with M2 in the middle, overlapping the playmats to the left and right (so hex 1901 on the left-most map overlaps with 0101 of the middle, and the same for hexes 1901/0101 of the middle and right-hand maps). Players may use terrain overlays along the maps' meeting edges at their discretion, typically to clarify exactly what terrain is in each hex.

Two three-hex roads will need to be added. The first runs from hex 1805 of the left map to 0206 of the middle. The second runs from hex 1702 of the middle map to the split 1903/0103 between the middle and right maps. These represent the entrances to the mountain pass. Hex 1803 of playmat M2 should be treated as Clear terrain instead of Mountain.

The orange hexes of playmat M2, plus the roads added to either end, are the "pass." The remaining non-mountain hexes of M2, plus all the hexes of both side maps, are the "lowlands." Note that there is a little patch of lowland hexes along the southern edge of M2 that cannot be legally entered; this is not a problem.

Forces: Players should choose their forces up to any agreed points value. Any factions may be used. Players may choose to field cybertanks along with conventional forces. If both players agree, cruise missile crawlers may be fielded.

Special Rules

The Pass: As in the standard Iron Mountain scenario, units may not move to or from the pass (orange hexes) on playmat M2 itself. The only access to the pass is from the road overlays at its either end. The northern exit is, for this scenario, blocked and units may not exit the map to the north. To enter or exit the pass, units must begin along one end of a road overlay and travel along its length.

Units may enter the lowlands on playmat M2 from the adjacent maps freely, and may fire on - and be fired upon by - enemy units in pass hexes. Remember that mountain hexes block fire.

End Game

Victory Conditions: The goal of the scenario is move from the starting map, across the pass, and exit from the opposite map edge. Players should feel free to choose their own victory conditions. Some suggestions:
  • Exit a certain point value of units
  • Play for a set number of turns, then total up the VP of exited units
  • Play until all units have been destroyed or exited

Variant: Each player places a command post within three hexes of their starting edge. The goal of the game is now simple: smash the enemy CP first! Cruise missiles should not be taken.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by poi View Post
So the mats will be with me in a few weeks. Plenty of scenario options for M1 and M3, but other than Iron Mountain, have folks written other scenarios for M2?
The big question is how to interpret that mountain terrain and those cliff edges. It's per-scenario, at least for now.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
The big question is how to interpret that mountain terrain and those cliff edges. It's per-scenario, at least for now.
Painfully?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Painfully?
Per-scenario should probably stay the rule long-term...but with all the ways the game has grown since Iron Mountain was first published (just a few months after Ogre was released, sometime in 1977), if they wanted to make it an official hex / hexside, we could probably "borrow" pretty liberally from places like Ogre Minis.

Granted, official 'mountain' hexes would make a lot of people twitch. To be consistent with Iron Mountain, they'd add a layer of crunch to a game defined by its elegance.

Perhaps:

Mountain (hex):
Permitted units:
Infantry (all variants; 2MP/hex, D+1 terrain)

Combat:
Units may not fire beyond a Mountain hex, but may fire into or out of one. (This would make some great ambush scenarios, Operation Cyclone style...a couple hidden HWTs waiting in the mountains, ready to rain [fnord] down on travelers below...and greatly increase both the playable area and different ways to use Mat M2)

Landslides:
When damaged, a mountain hex triggers a landslide. All units in the hex suffer an immediate attack at A3 [in addition to any spillover]. For the rest of the game, the Mountain hex is D+2 terrain. In an overrun, the landslide occurs after the attacker's first fire round.

Cliff (hexside):
Edit: I couldn't find anything I liked in the Minis rules. They're worried about the realities of using vertical terrain. So instead:

Permitted Units:
Infantry (delayed, as Stream for armor units)

Notes:
I went with A3 for the landslide specifically to grant 2:1 against 1-squad, 1-1 against 2-squad, and 1-2 against 3-squad counters hiding in the hex. I figured that was cleaner wording than "A2, and units do not get the terrain bonus against this attack". Alternatively, it could also be a fixed-odds attack at either 1-1 or 1-2. I don't want the odds to be too high because auto-murder is no fun, but not so low that landslides aren't a "real" threat / aren't tactically useful, either.

I was tempted to bring over the rules for 'falling', but two problems arose: one, hex-grid Ogre doesn't concern itself with verticality, and two without 3D terrain, it becomes ambiguous which direction is 'down'.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 01-04-2019 at 06:51 PM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #8
ColBosch

A line each for mountains and cliffs will suffice.

Mountain

No unit may move into or fire through a Mountain hex.

Cliff (hexside)

No unit may move directly across a Cliff hexside.

I am not bothered in the least by the differences between this and Ogre Miniatures. Stuff like landslides, infantry moving across otherwise-impassable terrain, etc. should be per-scenario. Keep it simple.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #9
TheAmishStig

I agree to some degree...In writing that I left out the falling rules, and the 'ogres making a ramp' rules, and elevation levels, specifically because they have no place in hex-board Ogre.

But at the same time...that strikes me as an over-simplification. Do we really need gray craters, along with green and brown ones?
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
Cat

Using Iron Mountain map rules for all games on M2 will make all scenarios play out a lot like Iron Mountain.

I've drafted up some simple map rules that are more permissive than that to provide for greater scenario variety. I'll be taking them for a test spin on Sunday, and will post after the initial playtesting, in case any immediate revisions are necessary.