Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 AM   #31
MAKIMAKI

Default Re: Greetings from China in the 21st century

Well, there seems to be no news on that. May I ask you a little question? Do you mind the Chinese community's behavior of Sinicizing formal rules? (of course, there is no authorization or permission)
MAKIMAKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #32
SolemnGolem

SJGames has a webpage that outlines the "Online Policy" and its copyrights/trademarks here.

That site also has a link where you can email with questions (right beside the title of the page).

Note that: you can create free non-profit supplementary things for GURPS (like writing an adventure, or writing a character) but you cannot reproduce the game rules on their own. So as an example, if you wanted to use GURPS Realm Management rules to list 三国演义 kingdoms, or write a GURPS adventure at 赤壁之战, or write the statistics for 曹操, those would likely be OK to share for free. But if you're literally translating the GURPS rules into Chinese and then sharing those (whether for free or for money) then it would very likely be a problem.

The above is just examples, and is just based on the sort of material that people share on this forum. You should definitely refer to the Online Policy webpage and contact SJGames for confirmation.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:14 PM   #33
Buzzardo

Even if you're pretty sure your project fits the guidelines, ask SJG anyway. Both you and they want to be sure, and it's always courteous to check with the copyright or trademark holder. It also helps the publisher (SJG, in this case) know that there's at least some interest in a certain kind of content. If a fan project gets traction, they might want to invest with an official project at some point.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #34
MAKIMAKI

Now I'm trying to do some publicity without offending SJG: SJG has authorized group SNE (now creating SW 2.5) to produce 百鬼夜翔 with Japanese monster theme in Japan (I don't know if this book has English version and is sold offline by SJG). This rule is 3E and the copyright is not clear. Group SNE has now stopped publishing and updating the rulebook and its related contents. I want to buy second-hand books and make videos to publicize the rules (Using Chinese) to Chinese players.

This method can obtain a large number of new users in a short time. However, I do so because I want to expand the current player community, and copyright negotiation with SJG is beyond my current ability. And if I want to promote GURPS to publishers, I need some success stories to attract them.

Last edited by MAKIMAKI; 04-12-2021 at 06:48 PM.
MAKIMAKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #35
SolemnGolem

I sent you a private message with a few email addresses for SJ Games staff members who may be able to discuss your idea and let you know the company's official thoughts.

Please reach out to them, they are the best (and only) experts regarding company policy. The rest of us here can only give you vague ideas, but their staff can confirm the company outlook on your proposed activities.

I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-14-2021, 09:07 PM   #36
Thomas Archer

Hi, I'm here because I received birthday congratulations. I'am impressed how a chinese can learn latin words.
Thomas Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:10 AM   #37
SolemnGolem

不过现代中国人从小就会学习拼音...